starting strength gym

Thread: Fitbit Calories Burned and recovery/growth

Default Fitbit Calories Burned and recovery/growth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just a couple of questions:

1. I have a Fitbit and track everything through the Fitbit app. It typically shows that I burn 3400 - 3600 calories per day. Anyone have experience with how accurate that number is? Should I make sure to eat above this number? That's going to be a lot of food! (I'm a 40 year old male, 172 lbs, 10.5% body fat, 6 foot tall).

2. I have a desk job but do my best to stay active during the day - park in the lot furthest from the building, take the stairs instead of the elevator, and mange a 1 mile walk in the morning and afternoon on my break. By the end of the day I've often walked 16,000+ steps (Fitbit says I average about 14 miles of walking per day). How do you think this impacts recovery? It sounds like a lot of walking but its spread throughout the entire day so it doesn't seem so bad, but it's got to be using up calories that should go to recovery / muscle building.

3. Last question: At what point do you switch from deadlifting 3x/week to alternating deadlifts and powercleans? I started deadlifts at 185 lbs and failed Monday's attempt at 300 lbs. 6 weeks doesn't seem very long - seems like I should be able to have gone further before recovery is an issue, but I'm new at this so figure I'd ask.

I'm half-way through week 6 of my LP. Here is a link to the training log: John's Training Log

Thanks for any feedback!

The walking is likely not a problem if you are used to it. You'll have to be willing to gain some weight though. You're stalling because you're not taking in enough calories