starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SI Joint--How to "Work Through" the pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Im sorry for your injury and of course get well soon. Your approach sounds reasonable. Id just like to point out that you dont need to avoid adequately used pain medication and suffer greatly if by "shots" you also include that. Pain killers let your muscles relax, thus reducing indirect nerve pain and allowing a bit more movement - which usually is good for reducing stiffness and muscle loss, provides blood circulation and avoidance of a "pain memory". Shots work directly at the region of pain, thus reducing systemic side effects.

Oof. That is bad luck. Sorry man. Keep us posted on how things are going and hopefully the recovery process will be relatively smooth

Marenghi, thanks for the information about the shots/meds. I'm pretty medicine averse--I tend to avoid it if at all possible, but might be a good idea in this situation.

Met with the ortho today and he's referring me to a guy who specializes in surgery and epidural shots. Of course I am going to avoid the surgery, but any thoughts on lifting post epidural shot? I will pretty much be starting from the ground up with SS once I get over this injury. Also, "shot guy" can't see me till April 12 so I'm probably about 3 weeks out from having the shot. Any opinion on whether it is best to wait for the shot to start lifting, just go by how I feel/don't push it right now? (I'll do some more forum research, but since we're in conversation...)

I tried to squat with a broomstick today and my right upper hamstring/lower glute is so tight I had to stop. Guess I need to rest a bit more. I'm still hobbling around a good bit.

My official bill wasn't that bad--3 bulges, 2 minor one major. L5/S1 is particularly bad and is what is hitting my spinal chord. Honestly I expected my MRI to look much worse since I've been having back pain since I was 17. I found it encouraging! My still dead right heel is less encouraging.

thanks again for the comments.

I'd post about this in Rip's forum and/or message Will Morris or John Petrizzo directly. They will have better insight on how to proceed

Thanks Ryan I'll do that.

I've also been reading through wk105's training log from a few years ago since he was training with an "annular tear", which I assume means a herniated disc.

Looks like he managed it well by de-loading, resting on some of the heavy back movements like squat and DL, and incorporated some of John Petrizzo's advice.

I spent today following the "McKenzie method" at work and it seems to be improving my mobility. We'll see how that goes over next few days. Would be nice to be pain free prior to agreeing to a shot to relieve pain.

Thought I'd post an update.

Been ~4 weeks since the injury "occurred"

I've been working through Stuart McGill's book "Back Mechanic". After just a few days I can tell a big difference in my movements and pain level.

w/r/t SS my concern at the moment is I still can't do a broomstick squat unless I stay a lot more vertical than I'd like. I think this is probably because when doing the low bar squat I am rounding my spine at the bottom. I can get down to parallel, but upon coming out of the bottom I have a lot of irritation.

If I upload a video of my broomstick squat here could you please give it a look and let me know if you see any glaring issues? I want to be comfortable with the broomstick before I move to weighted bar. I want to be able to put a weighted bar on my back before I see a SS coach.

I decided to forego the pain block shot and any other procedures. I've been happy with my progress though it has been slow. My right heel is still numb and my right calf muscle won't fire--I can't stand on my toes on my right foot. I think it will be quite a while before that comes back. This also has me leery of putting a loaded bar on my back.

It might just be another 2-3 weeks before my nerves calm down and I can start squatting again. I'm fine with that. Right now I don't want to thwart the progress I've made in my daily life, like taking care of my kids which is most important to me. Based on some of the other threads I read some people said they didn't start squat/DL till 6 weeks after the injury so maybe that is my recovery trajectory too.

thanks...

Here is a video:

YouTube

I appreciate any feedback! Actually felt much better today than yesterday. As you can see I'm not very fluid in my motions. Maybe I just need more healing time.

Broomstick squats look fine. How much pain are you having with them?

Kind of varies from day to day. The squats in the video I'd put at a 2-3. 0 being no pain. At its worst I'd give them a 4-5.

starting strength coach development program
    Gotcha. I'd contact one of our PT's. Situation is a bit out of my wheelhouse

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast