starting strength gym

Thread: Recovery Interruption Question

Default Recovery Interruption Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So currently I am only lifting on Mondays and Thursdays, due to life schedule. It has been working out quite nicely thus far, especially on my squat. My upper body however is starting to slow down. I have failed 3x on my OHP @150 lbs., and today I failed on my bench press for the first time @210 lbs. I was able to complete my 3x5 squat @305. I am considering trying to squeeze another OHP session out each week. Only issue is, it would have to be on Friday mornings, I bench press on thursdays. I wouldn't dare squat on back to back days, but I am considering getting in there and doing some OHP only, following a bench day, being I won't be training again until Monday morning, 72 hours later. Any feedback?

Sounds like a good plan to me. You'll probably have to use a slightly lighter weight for the Friday presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    Sounds like a good plan to me. You'll probably have to use a slightly lighter weight for the Friday presses.
    What if I were to switch to a 5x3 just for Fridays Press session? I failed my 3rd attempt @ 150 lbs. 3x5 this past Monday. I was thinking about trying a 5x3 @ 150 lbs. tomorrow. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by eavdr10 View Post
    What if I were to switch to a 5x3 just for Fridays Press session? I failed my 3rd attempt @ 150 lbs. 3x5 this past Monday. I was thinking about trying a 5x3 @ 150 lbs. tomorrow. Thoughts?
    5x3 worked nicely for me for a while, before i switched to intermediate programming. The only downside is that the rest times will eventually start to pile up (at one point I had to rest 7min between each set for a total of 35min just on the press...)
    However, it is likely that the stress here is not enough to drive progress. Try upping the volume a bit (try 1 top heavy set of 5 followed by 4x5 back-offs) or adding accessory work (DB Presses maybe).

Friday pressing definitely shouldn't have a negative effect on your Monday pressing. Another option to consider would be to add some slightly lighter pressing after bench and deadlift (or power cleans/rows/whatever) on Thursday. Something like this:

Monday:
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlift (or accessory lift)
    Chins

Thursday:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Press 5-10 lbs lighter than Monday

As I mentioned earlier, you would be well-served to back off a little and microload the press rather than failing 150 for the 4th time in a row.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Friday pressing definitely shouldn't have a negative effect on your Monday pressing. Another option to consider would be to add some slightly lighter pressing after bench and deadlift (or power cleans/rows/whatever) on Thursday. Something like this:

Monday:
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlift (or accessory lift)
    Chins

Thursday:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Press 5-10 lbs lighter than Monday

As I mentioned earlier, you would be well-served to back off a little and microload the press rather than failing 150 for the 4th time in a row.
    So I pressed this morning and was very happy with the session. I didn’t feel very strong going in, but after a good warmup I was able to nail 150 5x3 with 3-5 minutes of rest in between. My fourth set was probably the quickest the bar has moved on press in awhile. I like the total dedication to press on Friday mornings for now.

I have a feeling the fact that the squats are really becoming a grind for me may be one reason why press has stalled, as I’m pretty beat after them. So I will definitely be taking your advice on Monday and dropping to 140 for 3x5 and microloading past 150. Hopefully this extra day of heavy press helps all my upper body lifts. It was nice to get in there and really enjoy the lift. I’d be lying if I said the squatting grind hasn’t gotten in my head a bit.