starting strength gym

Thread: Strength going down after solid progression

Default Strength going down after solid progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I did around 3 months of consistent linear progression on SS before I reached a certain peak. I was basically adding weight to the bar every training when one day I did a set of squats at 117.5kg and felt drained as hell. I knew that it was going to be my hardest workout ever to finish with those squats. Around 8-10 minutes later, I approached the bar
    for a second round. I did 3 okay reps, was determined to go for a fourth one but then I had to bail the weight. I couldn't stand up with the bar. I decided to carry on with the remaining exercises, but I couldn't train with much intensity after that failed squat set. So I went home to pig out and sleep, but even the next day I was drained as hell. I couldn't focus on anything up until afternoon.

That workout was like a month ago and ever since then, I've been going downhill. Now I can barely squat 100kg*5. My other lifts didn't even go down, only the squat. I don't know what's happening with me.

It seems weird that I was able to progressively overload for a long time and then one day it was just too much and I actually managed to regress.

Here are my stats:
    16yr old
    Male
    6' tall
    75kg(a month ago, squatting 115x5x3 without problem)->77kg(now)
    Squat : 117.5x5-> 100x5x3 (feels hard)

What am I supposed to do now to get back to my previous strength level?

Quote Originally Posted by confused_enthusiast View Post
    Hi,

I did around 3 months of consistent linear progression on SS before I reached a certain peak. I was basically adding weight to the bar every training when one day I did a set of squats at 117.5kg and felt drained as hell. I knew that it was going to be my hardest workout ever to finish with those squats. Around 8-10 minutes later, I approached the bar
    for a second round. I did 3 okay reps, was determined to go for a fourth one but then I had to bail the weight. I couldn't stand up with the bar. I decided to carry on with the remaining exercises, but I couldn't train with much intensity after that failed squat set. So I went home to pig out and sleep, but even the next day I was drained as hell. I couldn't focus on anything up until afternoon.

That workout was like a month ago and ever since then, I've been going downhill. Now I can barely squat 100kg*5. My other lifts didn't even go down, only the squat. I don't know what's happening with me.

It seems weird that I was able to progressively overload for a long time and then one day it was just too much and I actually managed to regress.

Here are my stats:
    16yr old
    Male
    6' tall

Im no expert, but all I can say is that failing is a part of this game. Sounds to me like you failed on a bad day, or for other reasons, this is all normal, but I think that session got in your head. I think you're struggling more mentally than physically right now. Failing is not fun. We work hard, and this isn't easy. Post some form videos up and have some of the coaches take a look and critique. If your diet isn't helping, clean that up. Cross off a few possibilities. Once you know you are doing those things right, I guarantee it will be fun again and you will soar past previous PR's. You're young, you have a long way to go, and plenty to offer. Stick with it!

Just skip Wednesday squat day for a few weeks and then go back to it as a light squat day

"That workout was like a month ago and ever since then, I've been going downhill. Now I can barely squat 100kg*5. My other lifts didn't even go down, only the squat. I don't know what's happening with me."

This happened to me 100 times before I finally figured out how to handle it. When you fail at a lift that you should have succeeded at, *stop* and go home. Try again next session. The problem is that you haven't recovered, and trying to force it will only make things worse.

That workout was like a month ago and ever since then, I've been going downhill.
    What have you been doing in the meantime? Programming-wise, recovery-wise, all that stuff.

6' tall
    Being 165 lbs at 6' tall isn't helping anything either.

Hey, Sean

So if I'm getting this right, you've stopped progressing for over a month, but you kept trying and it's kept going down? This is a classic sign of overtraining and there are a couple of things you can do about it.

1st) Manage your recover. You're only 165 lbs at 6'. Eat. Eat, eat, eat, eat. GOMAD would probably be something that would work for you. If the negativity of GOMAD has gotten to you then I'd recommend just eating your face off in whatever way that makes you achieve 250g protein, 100g fat, and about 4-500g carbs. Also sleep and stress management is important. Try to get 8+ hours every night and do things that reduce any negativity you feel in your life. Meditate, read, play a game, stop working after a certain time of night...Whatever.

2nd) To get your program unstuck I would recommend doing the following to get your squat unstuck (I'm assuming everything else is okay). Take about 10-15% of your max weight (117.5 kg -> 100 kg) and reduce the volume from 3 sets to 1 set for a few workouts and then start adding volume back in.

For example

Squat workout 1:
    230x5

Next squat wokout:
    240x5

Next Squat workout
    240x5x3
    And then start progressing again. by the 5 lbs increases (you'll have to convert to metric lol).

Next squat workout
    245x5x3

The reason why you want to keep the weight heavy while reducing the volume is because the high volume an low intensity does not mainain neuromescular efficiency well while keeping the intensity high and volume lower does. You want to keep the weight as heavy (or as close to your best) as you can (w/in ~10%) to maintain neuromuscular efficiency on the squat. That is to say, you want your neural system to fire off the motor units in such a way as to still display your strength you've already gained efficiently through the movement pattern (The squat).

This is how you "back off" so you can start progressing again.

Hope this works, good luck! (EAAAATTTT!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Establishing Strength View Post
    Hey, Sean

So if I'm getting this right, you've stopped progressing for over a month...
    Yeah... I'm not the OP.

Hi,

Here are my stats:
    16yr old
    Male
    6' tall

Definitely not an expert, but I did a decent amount of weight training my junior and senior year to cross train for cross country and track and field. My coach at the time understood that my focus was running and running 5-6 times a week was going to keep my weight training progression slow as all hell. So he was very good at making sure that if I missed a lift that was it for the day. That means 20 minutes out of 90 into the workout and I missed something the weight lifting stopped for the day. He also stressed that I eat enough otherwise I was likely to kill myself with all the activity. My weight did stay lower than yours because of the smaller stature and ALL THE EXCESSIVE RUNNING.

Anyway back it off for a week concerning the volume because you probably burned yourself neurologically and make sure you eat enough because it'll help get both of your weights up. I started SS at 165 and I'm up to 179-ish and its helped a lot. You might also be going through a growth spurt(Or other normal puberty stuff) which might be sucking energy that would be used for lifting. While you might have the hormonal cocktail ripe for strength puberty is its own monster to play with. Thankfully all of that should self-balance over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Yeah... I'm not the OP.
    Woops lol. Sorry about that, Sean.

I meant @confused enthusiast

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Establishing Strength View Post
    Hey, Sean

So if I'm getting this right, you've stopped progressing for over a month, but you kept trying and it's kept going down? This is a classic sign of overtraining and there are a couple of things you can do about it.

1st) Manage your recover. You're only 165 lbs at 6'. Eat. Eat, eat, eat, eat. GOMAD would probably be something that would work for you. If the negativity of GOMAD has gotten to you then I'd recommend just eating your face off in whatever way that makes you achieve 250g protein, 100g fat, and about 4-500g carbs. Also sleep and stress management is important. Try to get 8+ hours every night and do things that reduce any negativity you feel in your life. Meditate, read, play a game, stop working after a certain time of night...Whatever.

2nd) To get your program unstuck I would recommend doing the following to get your squat unstuck (I'm assuming everything else is okay). Take about 10-15% of your max weight (117.5 kg -> 100 kg) and reduce the volume from 3 sets to 1 set for a few workouts and then start adding volume back in.

For example

Squat workout 1:
    230x5

Next squat wokout:
    240x5

Next Squat workout
    240x5x3
    And then start progressing again. by the 5 lbs increases (you'll have to convert to metric lol).

Next squat workout
    245x5x3

The reason why you want to keep the weight heavy while reducing the volume is because the high volume an low intensity does not mainain neuromescular efficiency well while keeping the intensity high and volume lower does. You want to keep the weight as heavy (or as close to your best) as you can (w/in ~10%) to maintain neuromuscular efficiency on the squat. That is to say, you want your neural system to fire off the motor units in such a way as to still display your strength you've already gained efficiently through the movement pattern (The squat).

This is how you "back off" so you can start progressing again.

Hope this works, good luck! (EAAAATTTT!!!)
    Sean,
    Or if you are overtraining, you can still maintain LP AND intensity by just skipping Wednesday squats for a few weeks. Just don't do them and let the fatigue dissipate. You can make progress adding eight to the bar on Monday and Friday. Leave everything else in place ad don't tinker too much.

Oh, ya, drink a protein shake in whole milk first thing in the morning, last thing at night and once after each workout too.