starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nasal polyp operation and training.

Default Nasal polyp operation and training.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It's very likely I'm going to need an operation to remove nasal polyps. Looking at the NHS recommendations it suggested no heavy weight lifting (explicitly stated) during the healing phase due to the chance of nose bleeds.

Anyone had any experience, or recommendations ? I wondered if I could do lighter weights in order not to become too detrained ?

Sorry, just noticed your post. I had the same surgery in September 1984. Absolutely no lifting. I had just started a new job 1 week after my surgery and was in a classroom. The second week we were out in the plant cleaning out a supply shed in the morning. Had just finished my dinner when I felt a small trickle like a runny nose but it was blood. As I wiped it away it was like someone turned on a faucet and it started full flowing out the nostril. I left a bloody trail from the breakroom to the restroom like a gut shot deer. I would tilt my head back and my mouth would literally fill with blood within a couple seconds. They rushed me to the hospital where it started to slow down and finally stopped after a blood clot the size of a silver dollar came out. Sounds gross and it was. So, no. Do not rush your lifting after your surgery. All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by boarshead View Post
    Sorry, just noticed your post. I had the same surgery in September 1984. Absolutely no lifting. I had just started a new job 1 week after my surgery and was in a classroom. The second week we were out in the plant cleaning out a supply shed in the morning. Had just finished my dinner when I felt a small trickle like a runny nose but it was blood. As I wiped it away it was like someone turned on a faucet and it started full flowing out the nostril. I left a bloody trail from the breakroom to the restroom like a gut shot deer. I would tilt my head back and my mouth would literally fill with blood within a couple seconds. They rushed me to the hospital where it started to slow down and finally stopped after a blood clot the size of a silver dollar came out. Sounds gross and it was. So, no. Do not rush your lifting after your surgery. All the best.

:winces: thanks. At the moment the drops seem to be keeping things under control, so enough to make some gainzz before I am forced to come in for surgery.

Oh my goodness Nockian, it sounds like boarshead had a really terrible experience. I would never dispute his suggestion to hold off on lifting, but thought I’d mention that this is what you get when you go to the internet prior to a surgery. You hear the worst stories ever!! Stay positive!!!

I did the same things years ago prior to a surgery and wound up telling the anesthesiologist that I didn’t want to wake up in a pool of my own blood! Because I read a few posts by people who had, among the hundreds of other posts that I read. Anyhow, the anesthesiologist gave me great advice, to stay away from the internet prior to surgeries! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Williams View Post
    Oh my goodness Nockian, it sounds like boarshead had a really terrible experience. I would never dispute his suggestion to hold off on lifting, but thought I’d mention that this is what you get when you go to the internet prior to a surgery. You hear the worst stories ever!! Stay positive!!!

I did the same things years ago prior to a surgery and wound up telling the anesthesiologist that I didn’t want to wake up in a pool of my own blood! Because I read a few posts by people who had, among the hundreds of other posts that I read. Anyhow, the anesthesiologist gave me great advice, to stay away from the internet prior to surgeries! Lol!
    Serves me right for asking. I had surgery on my varicose veins 20 years ago and got up to go to the toilet having been told expressly not to do so-it looked like I had tried to perform an amputation there was so much blood. Got a right telling off from the nurses and absolutely zero sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Serves me right for asking. I had surgery on my varicose veins 20 years ago and got up to go to the toilet having been told expressly not to do so-it looked like I had tried to perform an amputation there was so much blood. Got a right telling off from the nurses and absolutely zero sympathy.
    Right. I’m the opposite. I ask a lot of questions and do exactly what I’m told! Lol!

But I can appreciate the unsympathetic nurse situation. I have a ton of friends who are nurses. All of them are hard-asses who I’m convinced would kill me if they ever had me as a patient. High expectations and zero sympathy, get up and get out ASAP! They’d probably make me walk off the surgerial table after something major. I’ve told each one of them to stay away from me if I ever show up in their hospital. Nurses are the least sensitive of them all!! Lol!!! Perhaps you should warm them up and bring them some chocolate before your surgery... Best of luck to you!

Right. I’m the opposite. I ask a lot of questions and do exactly what I’m told! Lol!

But I can appreciate the unsympathetic nurse situation. I have a ton of friends who are nurses. All of them are hard-asses who I’m convinced would kill me if they ever had me as a patient. High expectations and zero sympathy, get up and get out ASAP! They’d probably make me walk off the surgerial table after something major. I’ve told each one of them to stay away from me if I ever show up in their hospital. Nurses are the least sensitive of them all!! Lol!!! Perhaps you should warm them up and bring them some chocolate before your surgery... Best of luck to you!
    My wife is a nurse, so I've had a long time to practice on her-tea and sympathy are definitely lacking. I'm told, quite rightl, that its my choice; mind you she also tells me most often that 'everything' that goes wrong is MY fault which seems a touch unfair considering her insistence on choice theory, but is something I have completely come to accept. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    My wife is a nurse, so I've had a long time to practice on her-tea and sympathy are definitely lacking. I'm told, quite rightl, that its my choice; mind you she also tells me most often that 'everything' that goes wrong is MY fault which seems a touch unfair considering her insistence on choice theory, but is something I have completely come to accept. LOL
    She sounds just like my friends. Nurses are the very best people...and the very worst. LOL! I guess you are in good and bad hands, right. Too funny. It’s your fault for marrying such a capable and knowledgeable person. You’ll have to deal with it, I guess.

If the only concern is Heavy Lifting, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

starting strength coach development program
    She sounds just like my friends. Nurses are the very best people...and the very worst. LOL! I guess you are in good and bad hands, right. Too funny. It’s your fault for marrying such a capable and knowledgeable person. You’ll have to deal with it, I guess.
    Definitely my fault. I have greater blame factor than Putin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast