starting strength gym

Thread: Ibuprofen and Decreased Fertility

Default Ibuprofen and Decreased Fertility

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A new study found that taking 1200 mg of Ibuprofen per day for two weeks negatively impacts the testosterone production pathway in the testicles, leaving guys with a condition called compensated hypogonadism, which is associated with decreased fertility.

Reference: Ibuprofen alters human testicular physiology to produce a state of compensated hypogonadism

I've learned to take new scientific studies in health and fitness with a grain of salt, but think this one helps us be more mindful about the dosage and frequency of taking OTC pain relievers like Advil.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnlock View Post
    A new study found that taking 1200 mg of Ibuprofen per day for two weeks negatively impacts the testosterone production pathway in the testicles, leaving guys with a condition called compensated hypogonadism, which is associated with decreased fertility.

Reference: Ibuprofen alters human testicular physiology to produce a state of compensated hypogonadism

I've learned to take new scientific studies in health and fitness with a grain of salt, but think this one helps us be more mindful about the dosage and frequency of taking OTC pain relievers like Advil.
    You are right to be skeptical......however, context matters as do many other things.

I would not be so sure that in the context of strength training, as achieved by members of the SS program, that occasional use is problematic. 1200mg/day for 2 weeks is a reasonably stiff dose . We don't know what happens when the medication is discontinued nor what consequences there are under longer follow ups.....ie does this return to baseline etc?

So...we are told and pretty much believe that there is a lot of good shit going on hormonally with training. You are spanking your testosterone and upregulating receptors. Testicles on high alert. INcoming NSAIDs.

Also, age and family context matters....that is if you are worried about fertility.

Recent studies, I wish I had them on hand...showed a population decrease in sperm count towards 20 percent. Maybe this is not NSAID.....maybe WIFI?

Is it not ironic that these are called "cox" inhibitors?