starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder pain when waking?

Default Shoulder pain when waking?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been experiencing shoulder pain for a few months now which has prevented me from any type of overhead pressing. The pain starts at the side of my shoulder and can sometimes feel as if its in the tricep area. I managed to get to see a Physiotherapist through the NHS who did various test & said that she could not find anything apart from maybe a slight impingement. I was given 3 exercises to do which I assume are to strengthen the RC muscles. The exercises were with a band & included wood chop & band external rotation. I started doing these over a month ago & I did not see much improvement.

A couple of weeks ago I think I tweaked something in the same shoulder at the gym trying to overhead press again & the following day I was in more pain. I started with flu at the same time so took a week off & took 600mg Ibuprofen 4 times a day for around 5 days. Once I got back to the gym I started doing wall slides & foam rolling my thoracic spine area whilst really stretching my arms over my head before & after training. Just doing these 2 exercises appears to have really helped. I get a really good stretch in my pecs when doing the wall slides which makes me wonder whether I have tight pectoral muscles? I sit forward at my desk all day which I guess does not help.

The problem that I am having now is that once I wake up my shoulder really hurts until I have moved about a bit & I find it painful to pull my trousers up because I am having to reach slightly behind my back. Any suggestions on where I go from here

Have your press form checked.

Do you have wide shoulders, chest, and back? Because if you do, you might want to consider another or thicker pillow to get your neck and torso and spinal alignment in a more neutral position. This may help with your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Do you have wide shoulders, chest, and back? Because if you do, you might want to consider another or thicker pillow to get your neck and torso and spinal alignment in a more neutral position. This may help with your shoulder.
    I have wondered whether it's the way I sleep. I tend to sleep on my side & on a very flat pillow.

How you sleep can definitely have a big impact on how your shoulders feel. I love my Tempurpedic mattress and pillow but every now and again I sleep in a position that leaves one or the other shoulder feeling like hell in the morning. It usually shakes right out after I get up.

(I've had some shoulder / rotator cuff issues for years arising from rock climbing and sports injuries. Weight training and a good mattress have helped keep it a non-factor for the most part for decades.)

You may want to experiment with different pillows as Mark suggested, and / or trying sleeping on your back. I can only sleep on my back during the daytime, like if I doze on the couch. At night I sleep on my side. (At least I don't sleep on my stomach anymore like I did for so many years. That's the worst of all.)

Also, try to ensure that your arms / shoulders are not positioned up past your head...that can lead to discomfort while sleeping in that position.