starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training late vs sleep difficulty.

Default Training late vs sleep difficulty.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am 72 y.o. with sleep apnea who uses a CPAP machine. If I finish training within 1-2hrs before bedtime I find sleep is impossible for about 12 hours. Is this caused by enhanced serotonin levels? Is there any cure other than training earlier in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by namrats66 View Post
    I am 72 y.o. with sleep apnea who uses a CPAP machine. If I finish training within 1-2hrs before bedtime I find sleep is impossible for about 12 hours. Is this caused by enhanced serotonin levels? Is there any cure other than training earlier in the day?
    For what it's worth as a fifty-year old I've found training closer than two hours to bedtime makes sleep worlds more difficult. Unencumbered by factual information, I suspect it's due to increased adrenaline that takes some time to wash out.

I think it's universal. My theory is that it's simply due to elevated body temp.

Try a cold shower maybe?

I've heard people have good luck supplementing magnesium before bed. Magnesium Citrate is easier on the digestive system than other types which are easier to find, and come with a potential side effect of passing through the intestines rather quickly. Melatonin is possibly worth researching. I think the most extreme i'd go is a partial dose of Benadryl which really isn't all that extreme.
    Last idea I've heard that is interesting is having some carbs and protein before bed. I think it was Lyle McDonald that proposed that in response to someone who was kept up late by ingesting a large amount of protein (without carbs) before bed.

Or you could just work out in the morning. Us older farts tend to get up early any ways (once nature calls, it becomes a "well shit, now I'm awake. Might as well make some coffee, and get into the gym" sort of thing).

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Or you could just work out in the morning. Us older farts tend to get up early any ways (once nature calls, it becomes a "well shit, now I'm awake. Might as well make some coffee, and get into the gym" sort of thing).
    Yep. This. Even before I retired. Now, I can wake up at my own pace rather than use the warmups to jump start me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivey View Post
    I've heard people have good luck supplementing magnesium before bed. Magnesium Citrate is easier on the digestive system than other types which are easier to find, and come with a potential side effect of passing through the intestines rather quickly. Melatonin is possibly worth researching. I think the most extreme i'd go is a partial dose of Benadryl which really isn't all that extreme.
    Last idea I've heard that is interesting is having some carbs and protein before bed. I think it was Lyle McDonald that proposed that in response to someone who was kept up late by ingesting a large amount of protein (without carbs) before bed.
    I have tried both magnesium and melatonin without success. I don't normally take protein before bedtime.

I'll probably try afternoon training and see if it works else it will have to be morning sessions.

You may be partially correct, I know I always feel "up" after training which I attributed to elevated serotonin but the adrenaline also makes sense, too.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    I think it's universal. My theory is that it's simply due to elevated body temp.

Try a cold shower maybe?
    This might have some merit though a cold shower this time of year doesn't exactly seem pleasurable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast