starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tired back, glutes, quads and hamstrings.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Velazquez View Post
    Nockian, curious as to why you ask for help (and people here especially SSC's want to help) yet you won't provide a video of your lifts? I get the privacy thing but people here are sincere in helping others.
    There are 3 videos posted-all me. :-)

It's nothing to do with 'people here', you would be shocked at how easy it is to use google to have your life examined by people known and unknown. I have closed all my accounts with Facebook/Twitter/linkdn and using YouTube is just another security weakness. The less people know about me the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Absolutely. What I meant, in relation to you asking for a video with the full 5RM (Are you sure you just want to laugh at me getting crushed flat by such a feeble amount of loading ;-) ? ).
    I can speak only for myself, but I don't find it a bit funny. I've known so many people who didn't have the courage to do what you're doing. What sense does it make to laugh at those who really, really need to correct their strength deficiencies? But we will be able to give you much more useful advice if we get to watch you struggle through a work set. That advice may include a deload, or it may not, but it will be better advice if we can see what we're working with.

I wasn't 100% sure my technique with an empty bar was right, never mind with plates on. That you see no particular technique problem would suggest that my current new working sets are just too heavy ? I always want to go one mile further, higher, faster - very competitive (too much for my experience/skill level really).
    You'd be well served to load in <2.5kg increments very early on based on where you're starting from. The light squats show that you grasp the main concepts of the model. Let's see the work sets.

I think the coach at my gym has upset my Karma, by making me doubt I'm doing it right-and on top of that I'm feeling really fatigued in the lower chain. That kind of doubting sets you up for a failed set, but that doesn't eliminate the aches, pains and general stiffness at the moment.
    You probably know more about the squat model we advocate than the trainer in your gym, statistically speaking. You have my permission to ignore him intellectually and emotionally, and just get strong by following the program. You'll be sore sometimes. The weight will feel like it's going to crush you and you'll never stand back up. You will get strong because you will lift it anyway.

It's helpful just to have someone tell me I'm not actually making some horrendous technical error during the squat and I will tell the gym coach to get lost.
    Maybe you are making horrendous technical errors at heavier weights. But the chances that the trainer walking around the gym floor can accurately identify them are exceedingly slim.

It was said jokingly Adam, hence the ;-)

Might be able to video that sometime next week wife permitting-she's my cameraman.

I've micro loaded both bench and press, but had been managing the 2.5 Kg increments on squat and deadlift. This was the first time I've failed for a long while, my legs/back felt like crap. I still lifted it.

Yes, he didn't even know what a low bar squat was. It must look odd to a high bar squat guy as the bar/head position. His opinion was that I was rounding my back with only the bar, which is really not likely as I'm pushing back against the bar, chest out superman style, just like the video. Still, he was trying to be helpful.

Thanks Adam it's good to have that bit of a confidence boost that I do know something about what I'm doing. Next time I will show them the low bar approach so they can leave me alone.

It was said jokingly Adam, hence the ;-)

Might be able to video that sometime next week wife permitting-she's my cameraman.

I've micro loaded both bench and press, but had been managing the 2.5 Kg increments on squat and deadlift. This was the first time I've failed for a long while, my legs/back felt like crap. I still lifted it.

Yes, he didn't even know what a low bar squat was. It must look odd to a high bar squat guy as the bar/head position. His opinion was that I was rounding my back with only the bar, which is really not likely as I'm pushing back against the bar, chest out superman style, just like the video. Still, he was trying to be helpful.
    For most people empty bar squats look like crap. There is simply not enough weight on the bar, and its very common, even for people with good mobility, to have their back more rounded on the empty bar sets. With my clients I only start giving them cues on their first warmup set after the empty bar sets are done. Its just an extension of why we need to see work sets as opposed to light day sets - has to be some weight on the bar for your body to get tight against to give helpful cueing

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    For most people empty bar squats look like crap. There is simply not enough weight on the bar, and its very common, even for people with good mobility, to have their back more rounded on the empty bar sets. With my clients I only start giving them cues on their first warmup set after the empty bar sets are done. Its just an extension of why we need to see work sets as opposed to light day sets - has to be some weight on the bar for your body to get tight against to give helpful cueing
    Exactly what I said to the coach. Without weight there isn't really anything to tighten up against even though I do try hard to make the empty bar set groove the same as the work sets , but it's like an unloaded Spring.

Plenty of things to criticise when the bar gets to the heavy end mind you. I'm not sure I can stomach watching myself go kaboom. I shall try to do so with stoic decorum and a healthy dose of fighting resolve. :-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123