starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hip labrum repair and FAI surgery recovery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Wednesday's workout:

Bench 5X3s at 59 lbs (switched to threes already. Dayum)
    Squat: 3X5 at 45 lbs

Skipped deadlights to make time for a lot of stretching. I've lost a lot of adductor range. I am mixing in frogs and the pancake series now. You can google those. It's amazing how much flexibility I lost in 8 weeks. In my experience, gaining flexibility helps me not get injured. As a point of reference, I hadn't been able to touch my toes in YEARS before I started training last year and incorporating stretching. Coach used to be a yoga teacher so he has skillz. I'd expect that if you are reading this and CAN touch your toes, you are worlds ahead of me.

Friday's workout:
    3x5 Squats at 50
    3x5 Press at 41
    3x5 deadlights at 85

Ring rows and abz

Squats are still number 1 hard. not heavy, but the motion is not smooth. I'm told it looks great, but it is a total mental game with squats. Deadlights are like butter.

Monday's workout:
    Squat: 3x5 at 55
    Bench 3x5 at 60
    Deadlight: 3x5 at 90

Ring rows and ring plank.

Who knew there would be a day where I could bench higher than my squat? I guess all is not bad in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by training_tonia View Post
    Friday's workout:
    3x5 Squats at 50
    3x5 Press at 41
    3x5 deadlights at 85

Ring rows and abz

Squats are still number 1 hard. not heavy, but the motion is not smooth. I'm told it looks great, but it is a total mental game with squats. Deadlights are like butter.

Monday's workout:
    Squat: 3x5 at 55
    Bench 3x5 at 60
    Deadlight: 3x5 at 90

Ring rows and ring plank.

Who knew there would be a day where I could bench higher than my squat? I guess all is not bad in the world.
    Also have to add that I am stretching a lot more outside of the gym: pancake series and frogs, and the PT exercises I've listed before.

Wednesday's workout:

Squat 3x5 at 60 lbs.
    Press: 3x5 at 42
    Barbell rows: 5x5 (mixed these in with stretches for my shoulders)

Those "feeling normal" days come and go. The gym is always a workout for one reason or another these days--even if the weights are light.

Ok, I'm a bit behind.

The summary is that I am having some tightness/pain in my IT band and got some advice from the PT on how to strengthen that. I'm also going to roll it more often and use a lacrosse ball on my glutes.

I had my 12-week checkup today with the doc. Everything is going well, they were pleased. I reported that I was back lifting again and got some raised eye-brows, but not any discouragement. He said to keep doing what I'm doing.

So here are the last three workouts (you can probably guess these):

Friday:
    Diddly Squat: 3x5 at 65 lbs
    Bench: 3X5 at 61
    Deadlight: 3x5 at 95 lbs

Monday:
    Diddly Squat: 3X5 at 70 lbs
    Press 3X5 at 43 lbs
    Deadlights: 3X5 at 100 lbs

I've been mixing in PT work during rest times. Monster walks with the band, hip thrusts, and more stretching. Pigeon in particular.

Today:
    Squats: 3X5 at 75 (this is the first day that I felt that hip drive...and it is a wonderful thing. Up until now, it has been light enough and conservative enough that I thought I might still be as strong as I once was. Today was work. Felt good!)
    Bench: 3X5 at 60 lbs. Doing one-lb jumps here, but it's work after being off for two months. I'm hoping to cruise past my previous weights.

Squats are hard now! Yay! It just feels good to be challenged. Form is good. I used this time to dial in my wrists and elbows.

Squat: 3X5 at 80 lbs
    Press: 3X5 at 44.
    Deadlights: 3X5 at 105 lbs.

Filled in the rests with pigeon variations and couch as well as some glut mashing with a lacrosse ball.

Alternated ring planks with ring rows.

Heading to Tennessee on vacation and will only be doing PT stuff: glut bridges, stretches, etc. I'll be jet skiing up the rest of the time. Not bad for three months out!

Ok, so it has been a while, but never fear--I have been training.

First, here are my latest numbers:
    Press: 52 lbs
    Squat 107.5 lbs
    Deadlights: 140
    Bench: 72 lbs

I've been moving along in my LP. Still adding 5 lbs to deadlifts, but only 2.5 to squats. Coach and I have switched to volume days for bench and press but still moving the LP.

Four months out and I'm 80 percent back on all lifts, and that counts a full two-months off. I don't have any issues with hip pain or weirdness during my workouts. Although I am still fighting a little bit of IT band tightness. I need to do all that PT stuff like one-legged sit-to-stands and get to my stretches more often. I still don't have full flexibility back. But this surgery was completely worth it for me. I hiked the other day and had no pain while hiking. I typically would get sore in my right glute (the side where the hip labrum tear was) and that has gone away. I also have no sciatica pain or imbalance there.

This is a very quick recovery, all things considered. I had a shoulder labral tear repaired four years ago and that was a 8-12 month ordeal (and I wasn't lifting then).

starting strength coach development program
    Deadlights can be called deadlifts now. I've made huge strides on my form. At this same weight in my previous LP, I was doing 2x3s already. I am still doing 3x5s at deadlifts. Yay!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456