starting strength gym

Thread: Adductor Magnus (hamstring) Pain near site of old injury

Default Adductor Magnus (hamstring) Pain near site of old injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am restarting my SSNLP after an extended hiatus from being sick (Mono then Flu, both strains). Squat, Press, Deadlift was Monday night. This time I'm concentrating hard on making depth and using proper form. I felt like my hamstrings were very weak compared to my quads when I originally starting the LP a year ago.

I have one concern though. A little over two years ago I had a pretty bad adductor (groin) strain while playing in a mens softball league. I was running a lot on my own and also playing double-headers twice a week, in the heat of the summer, with little to no recovery days between the two. You know, stupid shit. The injury took about a month and a half to heal before I could sprint again.

My concern is the soreness that I've had for the past two days since my workout that hasn't gone away, because soreness didn't stick around as long the first time I tried the LP. I always get paranoid around past injury sites, and I have identified the specific muscle, Adductor Magnus, that I believe most of the soreness is coming from.

I am trying to avoid Ass-to-grass squats, and I'm curious. Is this normal for having gone TOO deep on a squat? I may be over-thinking it, need to Harden the F*** Up, and keep squatting.

Is the pain proximal (close to hip/groin) or more along the inner thigh?

I had a similar issue last summer and found some form issues that I fixed - squatting too deep, not staying tight at the bottom of the squat and over exaggerating the "knees out cue". I brought my stance bit closer and did not externally rotate my feet as wide and this allowed me to continue squatting without pain. It took about 4 months to fully recover.

However, since you are just resuming LP and have adjusted your form it could be that you are just experiencing DOMS in areas that were not being loaded that way with your previous form. I'd give it more than 2 days before drastically changing things.

The pain was along the inner thigh. I think I was just experiencing DOMS from adjusting my form, because the pain went away after the next workout. I actually widened my stance a bit. The first time I was going through my LP I believe my stance was too narrow and it was limiting my depth and mobility. Been doing things normally with the adjusted stance and it feels phenomenal to be gaining strength again. I never knew how much I would miss lifting until my Doc told me absolutely zero lifting until he cleared me from Mono. Longest two months of my life.