starting strength gym

Thread: Lower Back Taxed 17 Days Prior to Meet

Default Lower Back Taxed 17 Days Prior to Meet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I've got my first powerlifting meet coming up this April 21st. My training has been pretty linear and basic. I am 6'4, 212lbs, and 21 years old, if that helps any of this. I get 7+ hours of sleep a night. Recently, my lower back has felt sore / hurting in general after workouts, during workouts, and during my off days. I just squat 275 and put the bar back because I felt I was losing stability due to the sensation in my lower back. I was shaking on the way down. My programming is below. I do not include bench because most work is below 225, and it does not involve my CNS at all, and my form (pretty flat on bench, not a crazy arch) does not cause back tension.

The meet is 'pure raw,' meaning no belts are allowed, so that's why I do my 5x5 beltless. I'm planning on doing heavier 1x5s later.

Tuesday: Squat 5x5 345lbs last workout
    Thursday: Squat 1x5 385 last workout
    Saturday: Deadlift 1x5 455x4 last workout (missed 5th)

How do I heal my back in time to get back to lifting heavy to prepare for this meet. It is a Tuesday as I post this, meaning I have skipped my 350 x 5. I have been adding 5lbs per week for the last 6 weeks. I also tried some one rep maxes last Saturday, namely a 505 deadlift and 405 squat. I had begun feeling the pain / weakness then but pushed myself through it.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I thought about posting this in programming, but I just need advice so I can get back on my train in time to begin peaking for this meet.

Thanks,
    Alex

Start dropping some of the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Start dropping some of the volume.
    Ok, but that's meet protocol anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex East View Post
    Ok, but that's meet protocol anyway.

Thanks for the reply.
    There is a reason that is the meet protocol. It is to let all the built up fatigue dissipate. I wouldn't start dropping volume yet though, maybe at 10 days out.