starting strength gym

Thread: Hip stiffness soreness after a weeks rest.

Default Hip stiffness soreness after a weeks rest.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Got a bit of a flu so had to take a week away from the bar. During the last few session my hips have felt sore/stiff and it's never really gone away. I thought the forced break might give some respite, but I found its actually feeling worse and I'm struggling to sleep through the night without experiencing some pain lying on either side. I can't feel anything particularly in the muscles of the legs, maybe some tenderness in the glutes in massaging particularly hard. My joint aren't grinding or clicking and I had no obvious trauma. It's just sore/stiff even standing up out of a chair, or bed.

Any ideas what this is and how to go about eradicating it ?

Hard to say. It could be a form-related issue or it could be tied to being sick or a mix if both. I tend to hurt more when I'm ill and taking much time off from lifting often makes me feel worse. What does your form and programming look like? How's your diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Hard to say. It could be a form-related issue or it could be tied to being sick or a mix if both. I tend to hurt more when I'm ill and taking much time off from lifting often makes me feel worse. What does your form and programming look like? How's your diet?
    On intermediate HLM for older folk as BBP. Just ended the second week of the transition when the flu hit. Diets good, I keep thinking its a bit too good as I'm now 165lbs up from 147lbs and the weight is going up with all the 'eating of the proteins and carbs'.

As to form. I've posted videos before. I'm still not convinced by squat but I've applied the recommendations diligently. I have thought of moving to high bar as my shoulders, wrists and thumbs have taken a hammering to the point driving the car is getting painful. I notice that my lower back is stiff/sore too which I hadn't noticed before.

I can walk fine, it's only the squatting on and off chairs, bed etc that I notice the discomfort. It's there when I squat, but I notice it far less as I'm doing more of it and it's seems like an adaption takes place.

I don't suppose it's going to be easy to diagnose, it might be something to do with the flue as you say.m

For the general aches and soreness getting back into training I have found a recovery session to be helpful. Get your body warm (bike, jump rope, prowler, Etc.) And spend some time with an empty barbell working through painful positions and spending time in any position that feels tight. If a bar is too much PVC works fine. This will help but it is more likely eating a ton and getting back to training will help the most.

Get moving a bit and generate some blood flow. 20-40 total reps of the bar and some incline treadmill walking for 30 minutes will help recovery more than just sitting in a chair all day. As mentioned previously, if you really got the flu, then body aches are pretty normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Get moving a bit and generate some blood flow. 20-40 total reps of the bar and some incline treadmill walking for 30 minutes will help recovery more than just sitting in a chair all day. As mentioned previously, if you really got the flu, then body aches are pretty normal?
    I'm definitely not sitting in a chair all day. I don't notice it so much when I'm training, just a bit, it's that I expected any training soreness to last a day or so, but this hasn't happened, it's actually worsened. I don't know if it's part of the virus which is causing issues as all my joints seem to be aching on and off. Anyway I'm back to the gym tomorrow so I will see how things go.

Having a cold or mild flu will make your joints hurt, especially if they were sore already. Being 50+ doesn't help much either. Just get back to training.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Having a cold or mild flu will make your joints hurt, especially if they were sore already. Being 50+ doesn't help much either. Just get back to training.
    Was back at it today, felt crap and was coughing up a load of muck. Got the light day transition done at last weeks numbers. Stuffed down a litre of milk and 2 scoops of whey and going to have a little kip.

50+ sucks, but everyone gets there eventually. I'm in a race of two competitors, me and time.