starting strength gym

Thread: Sore arches in both feet

Default Sore arches in both feet

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This has snuck (sneaked?) up on me over the past few weeks. In the mornings and anytime after I've been sitting for a while both soles of my feet get very sore, although it doesn't bother me while lifting so I didn't start suspecting a connection until recently. There might be a slight reduction in soreness after my second day off over the weekend, but other than that it's quite constant. The soreness isn't in the heel area, more in the "palm" of the foot. Is this what plantar fasciitis feels like?

I'm doing all of my lifts in Adipower 2s. My feet are relatively flat, but not outrageously so. I've gotten along fine using over-the-counter orthotics or the standard insole that comes with my shoes historically. Also, my work isn't very active, I don't spend hours on my feet outside the gym.

Could this be connected with carrying around the additional BW? That's the first thing that comes to mind. I didn't find many fellow travelers in old posts.

Stats:
    Male, 27yo, 211lb (LP started at 175), BF 17-23%, ~3100kcal/day, ~8hr sleep/night, LP for ~4mo - winding down for squat and press
    Squat: 245 (returning to 250 after reset)
    Deadlift: 300
    Press: 119
    Bench: 210
    P Clean: 126lb

I don't think the lifting would be the issue, especially since you wear oly shoes. Sometimes it can be something weird with how you rest your feet, and sometimes your feet just hurt. If it is the lifting, your feet will adapt; mine did. Get some sleep, and if you like a nice placebo, do some kind of massage on your arch. I enjoy using plier handles and golf balls.

Random thought: Potentially could be due to how you squat; if you are leaning way to far forward or if you're letting your feet be unbalanced laterally, that could be part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GregS View Post
    ...In the mornings and anytime after I've been sitting for a while both soles of my feet get very sore... it's quite constant... in the "palm" of the foot. Is this what plantar fasciitis feels like?
    Yes that's what plantar fasciitis feels like. There are lots of tips online for how to deal with this... My recommendation is to ALWAYS wear supportive shoes until you are healed. This includes leaving shoes by your bed and putting them on before standing up in the morning.

That being said.. sometimes standing around with hundreds of pounds on your back will unavoidably make your feet sore. I think you may be dealing with a bit more that that due to the persistence of the pain.

Sounds like plantar fasciitis to me as well, and I've had it myself since early January. I'd say its about 50% better now. I don't know that there's anything that you can do that will have a big effect. Just have to wait until it gets better