starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg pain when sitting on my leg on the floor

Default Leg pain when sitting on my leg on the floor

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone, it's not strictly recovery related but I think this is the best section to ask this question.

With no specific injury, over time I am no longer able to sit on the floor with my legs crossed under me.
    This exact position: https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...3376bfb3bbad-c

My left leg is fine, but I simply can't sit on my right leg. It's not just sitting I can't bend and put weight on top of it. The pain goes from above back of my knee all the way down to ankle.

I am wondering if anyone has every heard of this condition?

Just sit with your left leg underneath. Could be anything, or nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilladiesel View Post
    Just sit with your left leg underneath. Could be anything, or nothing
    Oops, I'm an idiot who didn't open the picture/read the post.

I've actually never been able to sit that way. Always annoyed me but never affected my life

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    I've actually never been able to sit that way. Always annoyed me but never affected my life
    I never had a problem sitting like that, but then I did not sit like that for a long time in the past until recently when I sit on the floor to play with my kids or to do some other activity, fixing things, building furniture, organizing cabinets, etc..
    While I didn't have this horrible pain when I sit on it, I always had some kind of muscle strain when I get up. I don't know if I strained it too much by sitting like that for too long, or if I ignored it too long, now I can't sit like that at all. I also get pain behind my knee and around same muscles when I get up after I sit for too long, like driving a car for 2 hrs or if I sit in the office for 2 hrs without getting up.

I went through 15 sessions of physical therapy and while it feels really good when I am getting stretched and massaged by the therapist, it never goes away, and it gradually returns by the time I get home. What seems to help most is the stretches, so I started doing stretches recently. It feels good but it doesn't feel like it's fixing permanently.

When you follow this program for very long you will see that we consider physical therapy of very limited value. In any event since you are past 13 I'm not surprised that you have leg pain from sitting like that.

Carson, I don't mind not being able to sit, but I can't do squats either. I find myself leaning or putting most of the weight on my left leg to compensate for the pain then potentially straining my left leg.
    If I don't go past 90 degrees, I am OK, but if I want to work more muscles, I can't go further down without tilting my body forward, which is a bad/useless form.

I am not saying that PT was completely useless, if that's also what you are saying, because they made me do add'l exercises and stretches really do help, but there has to be something else I can try instead of just keep going to PT with minimal improvements.
    MRI was recommended, eventually I may have to get it done to rule out any other serious issues, but I feel like this is a tension and muscle issue. It feels like the muscle or tendon lost its flexibility somehow, and when it stays in one position too long, it stiffens. Could be blood flow too, but I have no other symptoms.

I just want my full mobility so I can do more exercise without worrying.

Edit (I can't edit my post above) I just found out about this program and Rip just recently when I was going through 100s of pages, searching for others with leg issues. So I am very new to this forum.

Do you have a certified SS coach? They can be immensely helpful.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMiller View Post
    Carson, I don't mind not being able to sit, but I can't do squats either. I find myself leaning or putting most of the weight on my left leg to compensate for the pain then potentially straining my left leg.
    If I don't go past 90 degrees, I am OK, but if I want to work more muscles, I can't go further down without tilting my body forward, which is a bad/useless form.
    Describe tilting your body forward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast