starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cause of my golfers elbow and taking time off from training.

Default The cause of my golfers elbow and taking time off from training.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Last training session it suddenly dawned on me that my attempts to improve squat technique had back fired. I had been focusing on keeping my back tight to stop my hips shooting back and doing a good morning. The result was keeping too upright more like a high bar squat and putting all the weight through my arms instead of on the back.

Anyone having the same problem ? If so, I found that fixing it was threefold. Not going so deep, fixing the knees half way down, balancing the weight by rocking forward and back on toes/heels to get the correct back position, then whilst simultaneously keeping the back/glutes tight, using the cue-keep the chest down nipples pointing at the place the eyes were looking at (2-6 feet out floor) and staying there until the legs were almost straight.

Anyhow, now I've fixed the problem, I still have the golfers elbow-infact it's worse, because I have tennis elbow too-as a result of buggering up my squat and any kind of lift is just aggravating it further. I've decided to take a week off and take a 7-10 day course of ibrufen whilst massaging and rehabbing using the theraband thingy. I don't want to take time off, but I can't see this is going to cure itself without some rest. Does that sound reasonable ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    . I've decided to take a week off and take a 7-10 day course of ibrufen whilst massaging and rehabbing using the theraband thingy. I don't want to take time off, but I can't see this is going to cure itself without some rest. Does that sound reasonable ?
    You can try it.

Any time I took time off, it just came back with a vengeance as soon as I started training again. I finally did chins, curls, and the theraband flexbar exercise and just continued training. Hurt like hell. Guess what? It slowly got better and finally disappeared. And I didn't miss any training.

At it's height, my golfer's elbow was so bad I couldn't press the palms of my hands together to wash them.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    You can try it.

Any time I took time off, it just came back with a vengeance as soon as I started training again. I finally did chins, curls, and the theraband flexbar exercise and just continued training. Hurt like hell. Guess what? It slowly got better and finally disappeared. And I didn't miss any training.

At it's height, my golfer's elbow was so bad I couldn't press the palms of my hands together to wash them.
    I can hardly clean my teeth of hold the kettle under the tap. Usually I would just train through it, but it's really hampering every lift and chins are just impossible at this point.

I can hardly clean my teeth of hold the kettle under the tap. Usually I would just train through it, but it's really hampering every lift and chins are just impossible at this point.
    I've dealt with a lot of tennis elbow. You don't need to take time off, and it is completely pointless imo. Even if you're taking time off, I would only discontinue squatting. My personal preference is just use a safety squat bar for a week or two. It is very close to a regular squat and there is zero impact on the elbow or wrist. Find which mix of rehab exercises fix the tennis elbow portion. For most people either chins, curls, or theraband will work. Usually people much prefer one over the other, it will take some trial and error to find which is most effective. If it makes the elbow issues hurt more *during* that rehab stuff I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it hurts worse a day or two later, then it is probably not working. All this stuff won't fix the root cause though, which is squat grip destroying the elbow. This is not easy to fix, but best cue I have found is to try and determine "would the bar immediately fall of my back if I let go?". If the answer is yes, then you need to do what it takes to correct that. Widening the grip, thumbs around with a stiff wrist wrap, bigger back shelf, and better thoracic bracing. Another thing I found is if I try to grip the bar when I'm 2 feet away from it, then maintain that grip as I get under the bar, it almost always leads to mistakes and additional elbow pain.

I have no advice to offer on the golfer's elbow issue.

It won't roll off my back now I'm leaning over far enough. The problem was trying to keep more upright and no amount of 'shelf' was going to prevent having to lock it in place using the hands. I'm going to let it settle with a week off. No sweat, It will only take a week to get back to my current level, if it starts again, then I will have to try something else, but I have to try rest first off.

Can you high bar squat instead? How painful is Pressing, Deadlifting, and Benching? I don't think it necessary to take time off since rest tends to not help it. NSAID protocol is always an option though

It won't roll off my back now I'm leaning over far enough. The problem was trying to keep more upright and no amount of 'shelf' was going to prevent having to lock it in place using the hands. I'm going to let it settle with a week off. No sweat, It will only take a week to get back to my current level, if it starts again, then I will have to try something else, but I have to try rest first off.
    Taking a week off is not going to help with tendonitis. It just doesn't work that way. You have to actively do work to fix tendonitis. Take a week off if you like, but it will come back immediately and you'll have to deal it with then. It won't "settle" from a week off.

Look up the difference between tendinitis and tendinosis and you will find why rest and anti-infammatories are likely not to work.

It's almost a week and I can't say it's any better for the rest and Ibrufen. I've been using the theraband daily and doing some other exercises I found on the web. A cure for bad elbows seems as illusive as a cure for the common cold. I might have to go on a pilgrimage and take the waters, or sacrifice a sacred wasp to the God of elbows.

Damn damn damn, I want to train. I'm going tommorrow whatever.

starting strength coach development program
    It's almost a week and I can't say it's any better for the rest and Ibrufen. I've been using the theraband daily and doing some other exercises I found on the web. A cure for bad elbows seems as illusive as a cure for the common cold. I might have to go on a pilgrimage and take the waters, or sacrifice a sacred wasp to the God of elbows.

Damn damn damn, I want to train. I'm going tommorrow whatever.
    Posted a few years ago as I was recovering. It's 100% better now.

Tennis Elbow (lateral epicondylitis) question for Rip and board members

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast