starting strength gym

Thread: Rib Cage Muscle Pull - Recommendations?

Default Rib Cage Muscle Pull - Recommendations?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    During chin-ups a couple of weeks ago I managed to set a PR of 6 reps body weight, then did that for 4 sets. Unfortunately on the final rep of the final set, I felt a tweak on the right (front) side. Sure enough it got sore through the rest of the day and the following day. Not overly painful, just sore. A couple of days after that, at my daughter's Lacrosse tourney, after it was over the team was at a park playground where I decided to try a chin up or two. Still sore, worse on the second rep so I stopped.

Question: is rest the proper course here? Should I be doing lat pulls or assisted chins in the meantime? Light weight lat pulls (~80 lbs) are simple enough and don't hurt. I haven't done any assisted chins in the meantime.

I'm a bit disappointed because I've never been able to do pull-ups or chin-ups more than 1 or 2 in any setting. Over the past few months, they've been steadily gaining. Now, whenever I start again, I suspect that I'll have to back off and move up again. It's not that big of a deal. I'm older and not in a rush. Just was one of my biggest rushes - getting decent on something I used to never be able to do.

For reference: 5'11"/55yo/M/203lbs

As long as the other lifts are not bothered I'd jut lay off chins for a couple weeks until it clears up.

I've had a rib cage muscle pull a couple of times. They heal fast. I'd work right through it as long as the pain wasn't too bad.