starting strength gym

Thread: Ice baths and recovery

Default Ice baths and recovery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys, following the advice of an old Alan Thrall video, I took up cold baths after my volume and intensity day training sessions. I seem to have a high tolerance for the cold and it takes me about 30 minutes to numb out, but once im done i feel great, and I wake up the next day with my joints and muscles feeling fresh and new. I know Uncle Rip doesnt like the whole Ice bath thing, but what experience have you guys had with it? good, bad, whatever.

It's good placebo if you believe.

You're probably not going to find any convincing research on this stuff. Personally I think it probably helps a little, not a lot. In an ideal setting I'd do some cold plunges/sauna/steam post workout. Ice baths seem too contrived and cold showers just annoyed me after a while

In my opinion, anything that helps you relax and sleep better is worth the time unless that time could be devoted to sleep itself.

As an example, I don't really think that a warm Epsom salt bath does anything for recovery. Having one in the middle of the week, however, helps me relax and sleep better. I think the quality of sleep I get after a bath is better than the additional quantity of sleep I'd get if I just passed on the bath and went straight to bed.

Not sure if that made sense.

I used them and loved them in college after football practice. Definitely took some soreness out and felt a lil more fresh the next day. I have zero experience with them after lifting.