starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder rehab.

Default Shoulder rehab.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Does anyone have experience in rehabbing a shoulder post op with anchors? Any special concerns?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell1000128 View Post
    Does anyone have experience in rehabbing a shoulder post op with anchors? Any special concerns?

I'm not sure if my advice counts because I wasn't strength training while I was re-habbing my shoulder. I had a SLAP repair (with anchors) and whatever they do to remove an impingement. Follow the docs orders for sling use until you are clear. Once you are clear, do all the stretches you can tolerate to get range of motion back as soon as possible. It was recommended to me not to strength train until I had full range of motion--or at least NOT to stop range of motion exercises until you have FULL range of motion back. I'm proof that it can happen. I've had two friends have the same surgery and not been the same since. Both stopped ROM exercises before they had full ROM back. They thought it was good enough. No time like the present to work that shoulder to the best of your ability within doc's orders.

That said, I think there's an article on the main site that has a woman strength training through her re-hab. I still think she waited six weeks though.

what does your doc say? It all depends on how much has to heal before you put stress on it.

I have anchors in both shoulders. I was told that when healed they are at least as strong as OEM by my surgeon. I wasn’t strength training at the time. The rehab of the second shoulder is actually what got me in to strength training. Different PT, six years later, performance based clinic instead of rehab based. The key here is “when healed”. Rip has an article about shoulder rehab. Range of motion is critical. I worked very hard to get all the RoM I could in both rehabs. Totally worth the pain and time.

I've been squatting since day 5 hands free with a rogue ssb. Squatting 2 3 times a week increasing the load slowly. Got a slight bit of discomfort when I hit 200lbs. Reloaded to 180 and came back up with 5 by 5s and just did 240 a few days ago with zero discomfort. Started the ring protocol 3 days ago at the beginning of week 6. Day one I got to shoulder height for 3 set of seven. Today I got over my forhead. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be to lockout and then start the press from the top down. Deadlifts in some form will hopefully start mid week.

I'm currently 4 weeks out from my second left shoulder surgery. Tumor removal with bone graft, 2 rotator cuff tears and biceps tenodesis. I can come out of my sling as tolerated today, 6-8 tissue healing, then I can start active ROM training, 12 weeks I can start strengthening. That's the protocol they gave me. I have already started passive ROM without a PT. I went into the surgery as strong as I could and I should come out of it alright. For me the tissue healing is the most important thing with full ROM being a close second. I know how to get strong again. I'm up to 5 anchors in my shoulder now.

Mitchell1000128....you are doing all the right things. Keep it up brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
    I'm currently 4 weeks out from my second left shoulder surgery. Tumor removal with bone graft, 2 rotator cuff tears and biceps tenodesis. I can come out of my sling as tolerated today, 6-8 tissue healing, then I can start active ROM training, 12 weeks I can start strengthening. That's the protocol they gave me. I have already started passive ROM without a PT. I went into the surgery as strong as I could and I should come out of it alright. For me the tissue healing is the most important thing with full ROM being a close second. I know how to get strong again. I'm up to 5 anchors in my shoulder now.
    The biceps tenodesis is a key variable here. No active biceps exercises (supination / elbow flexion) under a load (isometric / concentric / eccentric). Losing that anchor due to it being pulled out from muscle activation is no good. Next thing, the tumor removal with bone graft is going to dictate that you load the upper extremity in a much more conservative fashion when the time comes. I typically suggest a linear progression but allowing 2-3 sessions at the same weight for the upper body lifts before moving up the 5#.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    The biceps tenodesis is a key variable here. No active biceps exercises (supination / elbow flexion) under a load (isometric / concentric / eccentric). Losing that anchor due to it being pulled out from muscle activation is no good. Next thing, the tumor removal with bone graft is going to dictate that you load the upper extremity in a much more conservative fashion when the time comes. I typically suggest a linear progression but allowing 2-3 sessions at the same weight for the upper body lifts before moving up the 5#.
    Thank you for your input, it's valuable too me. I am mostly concerned with tissue/bone healing and ROM over all else. I am certainly not in a rush to slap the plates back on although I miss it terribly.

Well...I dead lifted 150 for 3x5, did 50 push-ups, and benched the empty bar yesterday. Still don't have range of motion to get into the proper squat position so I've been using a belt with plates standing on cinder blocks to squat. I can land mine press with minimal pain and I can do light triceps extensions laying down. Nothing over head yet, and I'm terrified to do anything with a supinated grip. Hasn't been 3 months yet since surgery and the doc said not to lift more than a can of soup for 3 months so I must be doing well. I'm very impatient but I'm afraid I may pop an anchor or something if I push too hard. Any other work around type exercise suggestions to hold me over until I get pain free ROM back?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
    Well...I dead lifted 150 for 3x5, did 50 push-ups, and benched the empty bar yesterday. Still don't have range of motion to get into the proper squat position so I've been using a belt with plates standing on cinder blocks to squat. I can land mine press with minimal pain and I can do light triceps extensions laying down. Nothing over head yet, and I'm terrified to do anything with a supinated grip. Hasn't been 3 months yet since surgery and the doc said not to lift more than a can of soup for 3 months so I must be doing well. I'm very impatient but I'm afraid I may pop an anchor or something if I push too hard. Any other work around type exercise suggestions to hold me over until I get pain free ROM back?
    A routine post-operative protocol for a biceps tenodesis will have the person avoid active biceps movements for 6 weeks post-operative and progress to strengthening at 10-12 weeks post-operative. The anchor is not what one should be concerned about. 6 weeks after they were put in, they have healed as much as they will ever be. The ring shoulder press exercise outlined in Rip's video is as good of a rehab exercise as I have come across. This is a time I might also have someone use a smith machine and let the affected arm go along for the ride on bench and overhead press to help get ROM back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast