starting strength gym

Thread: What back injury is this?

Default What back injury is this?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi

I tweaked my lower back deadlifting. It was a sharp electric pain dead centre on lower spine that happened as the bar got to around my knees. As quickly as the pain came it disappeared so I finished the lift and set the bar down. But it didn't feel right afterwards so I called it quits.

Several hours latter i find that any uncontrolled back movement is sharply painful on the same localised spot but i have no referred pain. I can walk around but have to be very careful twisting. Laying down and keeping still there is no pain.

Taken 800mg of ibruprofen and iceing it.

Was it likely disc or strain of some tiny muscle or a nerve impingement, something else, or too hard to say?

Thanks.

It sounds like a facet joint. Anti inflammatories and traction.

Whatever it was doesn't appear to be serious. I was basically off the meds after 48 hours and have near full ROM back. It still feels a little twingy when I lean back hard into extension so maybe it is something facet joint related. Pressing about down there on the joints with my fingers as hard as I can reveals nothing painful though so I'm a little stumped.

Thanks for your comment freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezercrowd View Post
    ...traction.
    Stop.

Seems like a pretty standard tweak. Since its already feeling better its probably muscular and not a disc issue. Back injuries are somewhat bizarre since they encompass such a large spectrum. The tweak can be barely noticeable or super painful. They can be better in 48hrs and require no deloading of weights or they can last 3 months and you have to eliminate squatting(I'm currently dealing with one of these). Just use pain as your guide, deload appropriately, and if its continuing to feel better, you're in the right place

Thanks Ryan. I normally have no problems setting my lower spine in extension but in the bottom of the deadlift I find it much harder. Body proportions may be coming into play. I realise it's supposed to be hard and uncomfortable but I now start to wonder. I'm deadlifting in flats. I read that a bit of a heel may help setting the back so might give that a go.

Hi Markus,

I think you might find this useful:

YouTube

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hi Markus,

I think you might find this useful:

YouTube

IPB
    This video was so on point for a recent similar injury I had it's scary. Thank you very much for posting it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ss182 View Post
    This video was so on point for a recent similar injury I had it's scary. Thank you very much for posting it.
    +1 thanks!