starting strength gym

Thread: heat exhaustion and rapid strength loss

Default heat exhaustion and rapid strength loss

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hey guys, I had a really rough day at work where I was jack hammering concrete for hours on end with breaks indoors to cool off or no shade to stand under. I was feeling very weak and tired at and after work. I had a headache and my muscles were shaking. to make matters worse, I did not eat breakfast or eat lunch so I did not get to eat any food until I got home from work at 5pm. When I did eat, I felt so horrible I could only stomach hydrating foods like watermelon and mangos. I ate a ton of it, but probably only ate 30g of protein and 1000 cal that day. the next day I went to the gym and lost a lot of strength. last training session I squatted 260 3x5 and felt as if 265 would be no big deal. since I had a really rough day at work the day before, I only put 255 on the bar. I could only do 4 reps and it was to absolute failure! did I really lose muscle all because I had one bad day? ive missed entire days of eating anything and did not lose any strength.

Bad workouts can happen, especially after a day of hard physical labor and poor eating. Next session will be better.

More probably you were still dehydrated and hadn’t recovered from the exertion in terms of energy reserves in the muscle cells. Same effect had you tried to do back-to-back heavy days without recovery. You would have been better off to do a very light day to get the blood flowing or just skipping the workout. I haven’t played with a jackhammer in about 30 years but I doubt they have gotten lighter. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin.Imel View Post
    More probably you were still dehydrated and hadn’t recovered from the exertion in terms of energy reserves in the muscle cells.
    This is why they say you should avoid activities that will impede your recovery (not saying you should quit your job haha). Just rehashing what is discussed frequently in these forums.

The whole SS model is stress/recovery/adaptation. Recovery drives adaptation, and you have to have the adaptation if you want to add weight to the bar every session.