starting strength gym

Thread: Chronic pain in my left lower-back (Quadratus Lumbourum) that has turned acute

Default Chronic pain in my left lower-back (Quadratus Lumbourum) that has turned acute

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I'm reaching out to you guys because I am currently not training, can't squat properly, with an acute injury in my Quadratus Lumburum that flows down my left leg. I'm 32.

My back pain history:

- Started to lift in 2016
    - Herniated disc surgery in 2007 (yes, 2007), due to sciatica in right leg
    - Dull pain in left hip started to appear in 2014

This “dull pain” has made my squats look asymmetrical, and eventually has evolved to acute episodes recently. I have been to all kinds of doctors that said all kind of stuff. I’m currently being seen by a chiro and an ortho.

My clear trigger point for the pain in the QL, right to the left of the spine (opposite side where I had the surgery). The pain goes down, to the side of my hip, and then to the adductors. It kind of flows around, but it triggered more than clearly in the QL area.

So right now, I have the following status:

1. My chiro says that I have unilateral hip tilt/uneven hips one of the side in APT and other in PPT, and she thinks the structural imbalance led to an eventual muscular issue, which makes sense to me. She is currently doing some manipulation and QL aggressive release to help me, and it has helped to some degree.

2. My ortho suspects I have a hip impingement, I am now waiting for the results of a MRI. But be frank, I’m not willing to go under surgery before fixing this hip tilt.

My squats, before the injury, were looking * ugly *. I mean way ugly. My chiro and I agreed on reducing my front squat weight to 20 Kg and adding 5 Kg each weak.
    Last week I tried to squat 60 Kg. Injured myself in the same place right away.

What are you guys thoughts on this? What kind of work should I do to rehab this and eventually fix my hips? And get rid of this pain?

Thank you so much.

Here’s a video of me squatting where the left hip defending itself and the torso rotation is noticeable:
    YouTube

This is my 2 uneducated cents, you're doing high bar squats. i.e. your maintaining a fairly vertical back angle. This is going to put more strain no the muscles that hold that angle upright (like the QL's).

I would assume switching to low bar squats, and keeping your trunk completely rigid, should lessen the strain on your posture muscles.

I forgot to mention this, but I'm doing Olympic Weightlifting at the moment.

However, since this is a long running injury, I can tell you that I had the issue still when doing LB squats.

I still posted here because I thought someone had something to say about this specific injury.

Google "Quadratus Lumbourum Squats" There are lots of posts on this forum where this is discussed

starting strength coach development program
    OK, you've been lifting for 2 years and are getting hurt on a 60kg front squat. The video you posted shows a lack of tightness; the torso is not rigid and the knees are collapsing (even for a high bar squat). This kind of form (including dumping the bar off your back) are all ways to get injured. I've had multiple QL issues in the past and low bar squats have been the fix. I have not had surgeries in the area.

Does the area feel better as you warm up your squats or does it feel worse? If it feels better then I would do some high rep squat work with excellent form (8-12 reps). Slowly reduce the reps and increase the weight. Finish up the block by running a mini-NLP on your squats and DLs. IMO, a SSC visit or SSOC subscription would be very helpful for you.