starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left knee pain ONLY at bottom of squat and nowhere else. Rehab tips?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I recommend Box Squats, they allow you to control your depth and focus on proper technique.
    How about we just look at a video of him squatting without the box, so's we can see what he's doing wrong to cause the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I recommend Box Squats, they allow you to control your depth and focus on proper technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How about we just look at a video of him squatting without the box, so's we can see what he's doing wrong to cause the pain.
    Box Squats have helped me keep Squatting even though I have bad knees and a bad groin. I guess it's shame on me for trying to help the man.

I have the exact problem going on right now. But I can sometimes wobble my lower leg around and it goes away. But can come back a few reps later

Video, please. Or go see a certified SS coach.

I agree with Rip. We need a video. I've gone through a similar pain. Not sure why it's only the left knee (mine was the same way), but it just was. It was a radiating pain that was worsened only by squats and nothing else. My problem was that I couldn't properly extend my lumbar spine, and that was causing me to lose balance forward. My bar path would suffer; my squat would turn into a good morning when it got heavy; and my knees would hurt. I would say OP needs to give a side angle of his squats. If the lumbar isn't extended, the heels come up off the floor, and/or your bar path is forward at the bottom, I would say that's the culprit.

Masher, you have two things to do:

1. Post the video of your squat, so we can make sure your pain is not arising from a form error. Form errors are usually not always consistent from workout to workout, so it may cause pain today and not the next, but over time it will only aggravate the situation.

2. Please perform the diagnostic maneuver Dr. Morris has suggested. He knows more about musculoskeletal medicine in the context of training than anybody you're likely to meet.

Report here, please.

Masher seems to have disappeared.

It's unusual for knee pain to kill a body. Hopefully he'll be back soon with a report.

Quote Originally Posted by Masher View Post
    ..... I briefly wore a groin wrap.....
    Where can one find this groin wrap of which you speak and can it be worn recreationally and under latex? Asking for a friend . . . .

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Masher. The advice given by senior members here is faultless, but i'd like to throw in an experience from the trenches by a dog face.
    What i did may not have been the best way to go, but here's what i did.
    Had a sudden onset of knee pain with the exact symptoms you described. Couldn't squat deep or catch squat snatches because of the pain.
    So, i did quarter squats front and back, about 20 reps and humungous weights. It really hit the quads. To lift i switched to splitting, with my "good" leg forward. That went well, didn't hurt, and i could get really low, & in that 12 months or so for my knee to come good i set a best ever total.
    Not recommending you do something like this, just reciting history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12