starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Training with cervical disc herniation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks Coach Rip. Did you have a fusion or a disc prosthesis? What was recovery like? Did your strength come back quickly?

Lastly, would you advise taking a new run at LP afterwards, to get back as quickly as possible?

I had the bone allograft procedure, with no hardware. Trained within two weeks, was back to previous numbers in 4 months. And the standard procedure is always the LP, taking jumps as you can. It will never take as long as the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Thanks Coach Rip. Did you have a fusion or a disc prosthesis? What was recovery like? Did your strength come back quickly?

Lastly, would you advise taking a new run at LP afterwards, to get back as quickly as possible?
    Somehow, someway, ACDFs are virtually infinitely more successful than similar procedures in the lumbar spine.

Rip,

I am scheduled for a C6/7 anterior cervical discectomy with artificial disc replacement (arthroplasty, no fusion) on 10/2. Surgeon said recovery shouldn't be too bad, and that pressing and pulling should be fine when I feel ready. Advised two weeks off completely, and then 2 weeks light duty at work. He advised against bar on my back for a couple months so as to not stress the newly implanted prosthesis.

I tried to explain the low bar position places load well below the level of the repair, but since the re-herniation occurred while squatting it is hard to argue with his recommendation.

What is the best way to preserve the lower body strength if not low bar squatting? I train at home with barbells, so i could switch to front squats for a while. Leg pressing would require going to a gym. Would either better preserve the movement pattern until I can get under the bar again?

In terms of pressing strength, I am very apprehensive about having a loaded BB over my head or neck. I was previously maxing bench singles across at 200#, and OHP singles at 145# - yesterday the PT had me do tricep extensions with 15 lb dumbells and I nearly dropped them on my face after a few reps! Demoralizing to say the least. Have I really lost this much tricep strength in 3 weeks, or is it just because the nerve isn't firing?

Thanks for the help!

Describe the prosthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Describe the prosthesis.
    This is a popular one.
    Mobi-C(R) Cervical Disc
    another
    Cervical Systems - Cervical Disc Replacement - Artificial Cervical Disc | Medtronic

At USC, they do not recommend (for lumbar disc replacement) any heavy lifting or contact sports.

ACDF is common and results well known. Cervical disc replacement clearly in the minority and long term success under scrutiny.

Whatever you do....all the best.

It is the Mobi.
    Surgeon feels that for young guy with single level disease and no neck instability that ADR is the way to go. Avoid risk of adjacent segment disease as often occurs after fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    This is a popular one.
    Mobi-C(R) Cervical Disc
    another
    Cervical Systems - Cervical Disc Replacement - Artificial Cervical Disc | Medtronic

At USC, they do not recommend (for lumbar disc replacement) any heavy lifting or contact sports.

ACDF is common and results well known. Cervical disc replacement clearly in the minority and long term success under scrutiny.

Whatever you do....all the best.
    I'm quite sure 100% of the cervical disc replacements I have seen in my side of the hospital have been Mobi-C prostheses. I've probably treated about 2 dozen, and, as far as I know, they have all done exceptionally well. That said, ACDF seems to have had really good results too. One of our SSCs had a two level disc replacement several years ago, and he has gone on to return to full training and has set most of his personal bests since surgery. Unlike the original poster, this particular individual had pronounced atrophy of the deltoid (C5) but C6 and C7 were spared from this.

I had the surgery about 10 days ago. Relief of radiculopathy was almost immediate. I’d say i am nearly 100% better, just a little stiffness in neck and swallowing feels funny.

I will start training again in another week or so. Was doing a 4 day split when this all started, but planning to do SSLP when I come back. I’m scared to see how detrained I am; it’s been a month and a half off now.

Thoughts on low bar squats with a fresh cervical disc implant?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    I had the surgery about 10 days ago. Relief of radiculopathy was almost immediate. I’d say i am nearly 100% better, just a little stiffness in neck and swallowing feels funny.

I will start training again in another week or so. Was doing a 4 day split when this all started, but planning to do SSLP when I come back. I’m scared to see how detrained I am; it’s been a month and a half off now.

Thoughts on low bar squats with a fresh cervical disc implant?
    Takes some getting used to, but I have my guys with new disc replacements hold a nerf ball under their chin when they squat to keep their head in the right place. Works beautifully.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast