starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Sorry, Will, warming up with the empty bar today, each rep was more painful than the one before. I take that as a sign to stop, so I did, although I tried a rep at 95 lbs, and that hurt even more.

On the bright side, I pulled 405 for the first time since I fucked up my back in August last year and squatted 335 for the first time since I tore an adductor in January.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Sorry, Will, warming up with the empty bar today, each rep was more painful than the one before. I take that as a sign to stop, so I did, although I tried a rep at 95 lbs, and that hurt even more.
    So, anyone, am I wrong about not continuing with the bench if each rep got more painful? Any other suggested rehab protocols?
    Thanks.

Don't know...would still like to see video of empty bar bench. There may be a form issue that we can correct easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Don't know...would still like to see video of empty bar bench. There may be a form issue that we can correct easily.
    OK, I'll see what I can do when I get to the gym tomorrow. What would be the best angle for the video?
    Thanks.

OK, I'll see what I can do when I get to the gym tomorrow. What would be the best angle for the video?
    Thanks.
    Search function.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Search function.
    I had a feeling you'd say that. :-)

OK, so the sticky said put the camera about where the spotter would stand, looking down at about 45 degrees, so here it is, empty bar:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av_qR2rV1-U9gfUo2DL4r9c43rmQXA

Unfortunately, the guy I asked to take the video wasn't totally familiar with my phone (or I didn't set it up right), so I only got the two last reps, didn't notice until he had left. Hopefully you can still make some observations. Not much noticeable pain during the set. I did presses after, up to 125 x 5, with a narrower grip than usual and had minor discomfort. If my shoulder had not been hurting, I had 147.5 x 5 x 3 for presses on the program tonight but I went with Will's suggestion of low volume and moderate weight.

Input, suggestions much appreciated!

My shoulder is more sore now than it was before my workout yesterday and the pain seems to have spread a bit even. Is this to be expected or am I doing something wrong? How do I know if things are getting worse or better? Well, better I can probably figure out on my own, but worse, I'm not sure.

My shoulder is more sore now than it was before my workout yesterday and the pain seems to have spread a bit even. Is this to be expected or am I doing something wrong? How do I know if things are getting worse or better? Well, better I can probably figure out on my own, but worse, I'm not sure.
    I'd control the tempo more on these. You are letting the bar drop more than I like. The eccentric should feel like work but not "super slow" style necessarily. Try 3 second tempos and focus on keeping the chest up. Hope this helps my friend!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I'd control the tempo more on these. You are letting the bar drop more than I like. The eccentric should feel like work but not "super slow" style necessarily. Try 3 second tempos and focus on keeping the chest up. Hope this helps my friend!
    Thanks for the input, Robert. As these were with an empty bar, I wasn't all that concerned with controlling the descent. It's a very different story when I have some weight on the bar, though. Then, it definitely feels like work and I do my best to control the descent.

So far the pain is about the same and I haven't worked out for four days. I'm heading out of town for most of next week and won't have the opportunity to train. I'll update when I get back and have a workout under my belt.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast