starting strength gym
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Will,
    I haven’t posted OHP or bench videos, other than the empty bar bench earlier in this thread. I have posted several squat and deadlift videos at various times. I’ve had several sessions with Robert Santana in the past couple years but nothing on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    That looks closer to AC than bicipital tendon. Try the "pull apart" test: Put your hands in front of you and lock fingers, one palm in and one palm out (one thumb up, one thumb down) with your forearms horizontal and pull as if you'e trying to pull your hands apart. You may feel pain in that location. You can also try putting the hand of the affected side on the trapezius of the other side and lifting your elbow across your body. If it's AC, it should produce discomfort in the area indicated.

Whether it's the AC or impingement pain, it makes me wonder about your bench and press technique. Videos might be helpful. I'd go ahead and try to lift, but carefully, and pay attention to your form. Make sure your humeri aren't perpendicular to the torso at the bottom. People actually do this more commonly than I would think...hurts just thinking about it.

Morris is a lot smarter about this stuff than an ER doc. He may chime in. If his opinion is different....listen to him.
    That pull apart test put pain in exactly same place that the OP was pointing to-but on my arm obviously :-/

I see what you mean by humori not being perp. I tried moving my elbows forward in the bottom press position and the pain is exactly where the pull apart hands test is located.

Dr Sullivan you might well have discovered my problem. I've never taken a video of the press, but I definitely think I'm doing that. My shoulder is worse today after pressing yesterday and it had been improving all week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    That pull apart test put pain in exactly same place that the OP was pointing to-but on my arm obviously :-/

I see what you mean by humori not being perp. I tried moving my elbows forward in the bottom press position and the pain is exactly where the pull apart hands test is located.

Dr Sullivan you might well have discovered my problem. I've never taken a video of the press, but I definitely think I'm doing that. My shoulder is worse today after pressing yesterday and it had been improving all week.
    That's interesting that you have pain in the same location as I do (OP here), but when I do that pull-apart test, I have zero additional discomfort there.

Try swapping over hands, put the good arm/hand underneath and the bad arm hand on top. Stretch both arms straight out fully in front of you then try pulling apart.

The pain is much more obvious the same day of pressing-tonight its just a mild annoyance when trying the pull apart test. If I hold my hands close to my chest I hardly feel it at all.

Hey Nock, it looks like these shoulder threads have been pretty much abandoned, unfortunately.

How's your shoulder doing? I haven't been to the gym for a good 2-3 weeks now, the longest stretch since I started lifting in 2014, mostly because I'm not sure what I should be doing and I'm quite concerned about worsening the pain in my shoulder. I've only done push-ups and dead hangs, neither of which seemed to help at all and, if anything, made things worse. Without knowing what's going on in there, I'm not comfortable with the idea of benching or pressing, especially if I can't get an explanation as to why those movements would be good for me. I can understand the Starr protocol for muscle tears, and have seen personally the positive results of that protocol, but I think this is different. But if I go to a doctor, will he be able to say anything other than my shoulder is in some pain, don't do things that make it hurt?

How did you hurt your shoulder, how was it diagnosed and what exactly are you doing for rehab?

Thanks.

-RJP

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Hey Nock, it looks like these shoulder threads have been pretty much abandoned, unfortunately.

How's your shoulder doing? I haven't been to the gym for a good 2-3 weeks now, the longest stretch since I started lifting in 2014, mostly because I'm not sure what I should be doing and I'm quite concerned about worsening the pain in my shoulder. I've only done push-ups and dead hangs, neither of which seemed to help at all and, if anything, made things worse. Without knowing what's going on in there, I'm not comfortable with the idea of benching or pressing, especially if I can't get an explanation as to why those movements would be good for me. I can understand the Starr protocol for muscle tears, and have seen personally the positive results of that protocol, but I think this is different. But if I go to a doctor, will he be able to say anything other than my shoulder is in some pain, don't do things that make it hurt?

How did you hurt your shoulder, how was it diagnosed and what exactly are you doing for rehab?

Thanks.

-RJP
    Yeah, looks like it.

I'm not sure how I hurt my shoulder. I haven't lost a great deal of mobility, so I kept on training- Bench gave a bit of pain, but easily manageable. The GP (British general practitioner doctor) diagnosed it. Didn't really seem very concerned, like it was a sprained ankle or something. She offered a physical therapist, but told me the waiting list was several months at least.

I'm thinking that Dr Sullivan's explanation about arm position on the press might have something to do with it ? For now that's the only adjustment I'm making to training except for cable face pulls as a balance for pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Yeah, looks like it.

I'm not sure how I hurt my shoulder. I haven't lost a great deal of mobility, so I kept on training- Bench gave a bit of pain, but easily manageable. The GP (British general practitioner doctor) diagnosed it. Didn't really seem very concerned, like it was a sprained ankle or something. She offered a physical therapist, but told me the waiting list was several months at least.

I'm thinking that Dr Sullivan's explanation about arm position on the press might have something to do with it ? For now that's the only adjustment I'm making to training except for cable face pulls as a balance for pressing.
    And are you seeing any improvement? I'm just trying to convince myself that working through this particular pain (whether that be through narrow grip bench and/or press, chins, hangs, whatever) is the correct approach. How have you modified weights, sets, reps, frequency?

And are you seeing any improvement? I'm just trying to convince myself that working through this particular pain (whether that be through narrow grip bench and/or press, chins, hangs, whatever) is the correct approach. How have you modified weights, sets, reps, frequency?
    Sometimes it feels better, other times it feels a big worse. I've been doing CGBP pretty much continuously anyway through NLP and advanced Novice. I have it a thumb length wider these days-between the start of the knurling and the first ring. I haven't modified reps/ freq specifically for the injury, but I do as a matter of course within the scope of HLM. I've kept off chins for now. I do the dead hang once every second session which seems to help with the pain on recovery days.

You need to go see a doctor and get assessed. You might have a more serious tear, or other issues like impingement, so get it checked first.

Went to my general practitioner yesterday, he did the expected push here, pull there, twist that, squeeze this examination and determined my shoulder pain is an inflamed tendon/impingement issue, no tears and nothing terribly serious. I could live with it and wait for it to eventually heal or go see a physio and get a cortisone shot, which he said should clear it right up. What have experiences been with cortisone shots?

With the confidence gained from learning that it's not a tear or something like that, and with the reassurance from the doctor that I can go ahead and lift (just not as heavy as before quite yet), I hit the gym last night for the first time in almost a month. It took a bit of effort to get under the bar to squat, after a few sets of the Horn stretch, but the shoulder actually felt better after my three sets of five. Also did close-grip bench, ascending sets of three up to about 60% of the weight at which I originally hurt the shoulder. I didn't think there was any need to push things my first day back. Shoulder responded pretty well to that as well. Ended session with deadlifts, again at a conservative weight.

Today, I don't think the shoulder is any better, but certainly not any worse and my adductors are not as sore as I thought they would be. So I'm just going to run a quick LP, see how things go and try to get back to my previous weights as soon as prudently possible.

starting strength coach development program
    A quick use of the search function confirms that opinions are not so hot about the cortisone shot, mixed at best. You’d have to take a break from training, definitely lose some strength (the shot is catabolic), and some people even reported exciting new pain a few weeks after the shot dealt with the original inflammation.

the shoulder actually felt better after my three sets of five.
    That’s no surprise to me. If I were you, this would be my answer, and I would go with your LP solution. I screwed up something in my upper body way back and had to LP from 65 pounds on the bench press. Today most of the pain that I had is gone, and it’s still getting better as I get stronger.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast