starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Shoulder pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks for the input Dean. I don't know exactly what I have. My general practitioner said it was some impingement issues, but no diagnostic images or tests beyond moving my arm around were done. Where exactly on the shoulder do you roll? I'll try more stretches, certainly can't hurt.

YouTube

1st exercise is working well for me. I use the cable machine, lightest weight, good posture with scaps retracted, keep the elbow clamped to the side-I suspect that the effect is to get blood flowing around the muscles which is promoting healing. Do 3sets10. I use these in conjunction with face pulls where I now go pretty heavy. You will know if ex1 is effective because it causes a bit of pain to do it, where as, with face pulls there is almost none for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    YouTube

1st exercise is working well for me. I use the cable machine, lightest weight, good posture with scaps retracted, keep the elbow clamped to the side-I suspect that the effect is to get blood flowing around the muscles which is promoting healing. Do 3sets10. I use these in conjunction with face pulls where I now go pretty heavy. You will know if ex1 is effective because it causes a bit of pain to do it, where as, with face pulls there is almost none for me.
    Thanks, Nockian, I'll give that a try. I've done a few face pulls without any pain and will see if the medial external rotation works.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Thanks for the input Dean. I don't know exactly what I have. My general practitioner said it was some impingement issues, but no diagnostic images or tests beyond moving my arm around were done. Where exactly on the shoulder do you roll? I'll try more stretches, certainly can't hurt.
    FWIW - I've never went to the doc for my shoulder. I just figured that is what I have based on the symptoms ect. So feel your shoulder and find the where the shoulder bone ends. Right under that are several tendons. The one that hurts the worst for me is the one as far outside as you can go...in the middle of the shoulder. I start on the shoulder bone with the lax ball and just slowly go back and forth and down from there. I actually take it down into the meat of the shoulder sometimes. I also do the front of the shoulder depending on how things feel. The only thing I've found that will get in there and knock that crap out is the lax ball.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Thanks, Nockian, I'll give that a try. I've done a few face pulls without any pain and will see if the medial external rotation works.
    Don't go crazy and think you need to pull heavy, just enough to feel like you are doing something and making the muscle feel a bit tired. More reps, less weight in this instance. Working brilliantly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanT View Post
    FWIW - I've never went to the doc for my shoulder. I just figured that is what I have based on the symptoms ect. So feel your shoulder and find the where the shoulder bone ends. Right under that are several tendons. The one that hurts the worst for me is the one as far outside as you can go...in the middle of the shoulder. I start on the shoulder bone with the lax ball and just slowly go back and forth and down from there. I actually take it down into the meat of the shoulder sometimes. I also do the front of the shoulder depending on how things feel. The only thing I've found that will get in there and knock that crap out is the lax ball.

Best of luck.
    I don't know why I didn't think of rolling before, as I've used it on my IT band with some success. So I've now rolled a couple of times and I think it is making a difference. I just moved the ball around until I found a spot that hurt and worked on that. For me it's sort of right at the front corner of my shoulder, for lack of a better location description.

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Don't go crazy and think you need to pull heavy, just enough to feel like you are doing something and making the muscle feel a bit tired. More reps, less weight in this instance. Working brilliantly for me.
    Will do. I'll probably get to the gym tomorrow and give those a try and report back.
    Thanks again!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567