starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GOMAD alternative when lacking space

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not "significantly" underweight. He's not 6'3 and 170.

But do tilt the arrow of time towards increased size. And get your deadlift up to 405lbs.

Look Spamuel, GOMAD is just a tool. Increasing your bodyweight (and therefore your muscle mass) is the goal. Doesn't really matter how you do it.
    Last edited by Karl Schudt; 09-29-2018 at 09:27 AM. Reason: revised extended

Quote Originally Posted by spamuel View Post
    Do you reckon cheese is a decent enough alternative at all? It basically has the same make up as full fat milk anyway
    Could be. Point is to get your calories and protein in so you gain weight, and specifically, mostly musclular weight. Milk is a great way to do this because of its very balanced macronutrient distribution.

While cheese comes from milk, it lacks the protein content and has a lot of the fat. In fact, the aqueous protein part of the milk that made the cheese is what whey protein is made from. You know, curds and whey?

But I see your dilemma. You could probably stand a few glasses of milk a day rather than just straight up GOMAD. Start there and titrate the intake upwards.

Get a second fridge. People give them away on Craigslist where I live. I've got 3 going as I live out in the country too and we stock up on frozen stuff at Costco. One's for beer too!

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Get a second fridge. People give them away on Craigslist where I live. I've got 3 going as I live out in the country too and we stock up on frozen stuff at Costco. One's for beer too!
    Thats not a bad idea. Might have a look later, cheers!

Dried milk powder.

No idea why I had never thought of this before.

Exactly the same macros and price as bottled milk, but takes up no fridge space.

I know this is going against the conventional wisdom of SS and I'm just throwing my experience out there. I thought I was underweight too when I first started SS, I did GOMAD for 2 months. I put on too much weight too rapidly and ended up giving myself sleep apnea, extremely loud snores, breathing stops followed with a gasp for air.. etc. Now I know there are a lot more variables to sleep apnea than just rapid weight gain, and my experience might not apply to you, but just something to consider. The apnea and the resulting massive decrease in sleep quality made me depressed enough to quit lifting for a few months, and I dropped weight. I did a 2nd run through of LP about 6 months later, only this time, I limited myself to only gaining about 2 pounds a week, and not gaining weight beyond 185 lbs at 5' 8. This was my sweet spot for strength gains. I got up with a LP of 315 x 5 x 3 at 180 pounds or so.

Dried milk powder.

No idea why I had never thought of this before.

Exactly the same macros and price as bottled milk, but takes up no fridge space.
    Have you tasted reconstituted dried powdered milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Have you tasted reconstituted dried powdered milk?
    Nope not tried it yet.

Nope not tried it yet.
    It tastes like "flat, watery milk substitute". I could not imagine having to choke this stuff down at that volume.

starting strength coach development program
    Buy a cow and milk it. You'll have leftovers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast