starting strength gym

Thread: Groin strain rehab ideas

Default Groin strain rehab ideas

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all. I posted a while ago about hip pain from squats. It's been about 3 months I've been dealing with it. Finally I Went to the doc, she sent me for an ultrasound wich determined I have a double groin strain (not a tear). The doctor prescribed physio lol. Does any one have any tricks or suggestions for this type of injury? I've been squatting with a narrow toes forward kind of squat with a bit of pain. Deadlift sometimes will aggravate it. Anyway thanks for any help!

Lots of info here:

Adductor Pain

My response would be the same here. Sometimes you have to deal with it to deal with it. Adductor pain doesn't seem to go anywhere with layoffs. I tend to have my trainees take a slightly wider stance with a greater amount of external rotation and this seems to provide better training tolerance than a narrow, toes forward stance.

For whatever reason the wider stance toes out seems to aggravate the Injury. Not so much during but at night in bed. So should I gradually work my way to a wider stance from workout to workout?
    Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the tip Will. I just did a squat session with no pain! Was able to work up to a decent weight. Just really focused on driving my knees out and staying tight. Super stoked! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by 1985 View Post
    Thanks for the tip Will. I just did a squat session with no pain! Was able to work up to a decent weight. Just really focused on driving my knees out and staying tight. Super stoked! Thanks again!
    In a pinch, a knee wrap wrapped very high on the thigh and passing over the adductor longus tendon can make squatting much more comfortable.

I successfully rehabilitated a persistent groin tendon injury (here is where i describe injury).

It took months of careful experimentation till I found the solution.

I posted the solution, in detail, in the moderated SS Q&A forum (since that's where I originally posted about the injury, and wanted to update the folks who had helped me), but it never got approved.

Which is a shame, since I spent a couple hours composing that post, and it had good info.

I've forgotten some of the exact details, but basically, I used a 6 phase approach.

Phase 1: Front squat eccentric only, 3 sets of 5 - start with barbell or lighter, and add 10-20lb every 2-3 days, until you get to a decent weight (I stopped at 195 lb).

Phase 2: Same as Phase 1, but with high bar back squats.

Phase 3: Same as Phase 2, but with low bar back squats.

Phase 4: Front squat, full motion, start with barbell only, work up to a decent weight.

Phase 5: Same as phase 4, but with high bar back squat.

Phase 6: Same as phase 5, but with low bar back squat.

A few weeks ago, I was low bar squatting 300lb for sets of 5 with zero pain.

Here is the method I used to get the barbell back up to the j-hooks when the weight got too heavy to upright row.

It's a pain in the ass, but it worked.

If you can't row the weight back up (either upright or bent over), you can simply remove the plates between reps - takes longer, but it should still work.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    I successfully rehabilitated a persistent groin tendon injury (here is where i describe injury).

It took months of careful experimentation till I found the solution.

I posted the solution, in detail, in the moderated SS Q&A forum (since that's where I originally posted about the injury, and wanted to update the folks who had helped me), but it never got approved.

Which is a shame, since I spent a couple hours composing that post, and it had good info.

I've forgotten some of the exact details, but basically, I used a 6 phase approach.

Phase 1: Front squat eccentric only, 3 sets of 5 - start with barbell or lighter, and add 10-20lb every 2-3 days, until you get to a decent weight (I stopped at 195 lb).

Phase 2: Same as Phase 1, but with high bar back squats.

Phase 3: Same as Phase 2, but with low bar back squats.

Phase 4: Front squat, full motion, start with barbell only, work up to a decent weight.

Phase 5: Same as phase 4, but with high bar back squat.

Phase 6: Same as phase 5, but with low bar back squat.

A few weeks ago, I was low bar squatting 300lb for sets of 5 with zero pain.

Here is the method I used to get the barbell back up to the j-hooks when the weight got too heavy to upright row.

It's a pain in the ass, but it worked.

If you can't row the weight back up (either upright or bent over), you can simply remove the plates between reps - takes longer, but it should still work.
    The original post was over a year ago.

Yep, it took me the better part of a year to find a solution. Each experiment would take weeks, and I did a number of them.

I created a new thread in the Q&A titled something like - update on groin injury, and linked to the original post. The hope was that I could thank Tom and Emily for getting me started, and help others learn from my experience. I outlined some of the failed experiments too.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the help. I've been working back up in weight with wider stance, really shoving the knees out. It feels better if that makes sense? I feel a much better stretch at the bottom. Is there any drawbacks to squatting with a wider stance going forward? Maybe less quad development? (I'm still able to reach proper depth.) Thanks for the input!