starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurt lower back again...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan040 View Post
    but why do some people like myself seem to be so prone to them?
    In my little experience, back tweaks are usually associated with insufficient recovery. Clearly, this is more of a problem for an old fart like me than it probably is for a spring chicken like you.
    Anyhow, my tweaks are usually resolved within a period that ranges from two/three days to a couple of weeks.
    Keep moving, keep training doing what you can, re-hab the injury (for me, long sets of very light squats always seem to help), try using a tennis ball or a foam roller to release some tension.
    Good luck,

IPB

There is absolutely no indication for imaging of your back based on what you reported.

UPDATE (12/10/18): Went to the chiropractor today, got adjusted, feeling somewhat better. Got some things put back into place. Doc says he believes I gave myself a first degree sprain in my facet joint between L5 and S1 on my right side. Could that result in pain around the SI joint as well? I assume so if the tissues are still inflamed, which they are. The pain is better than it was on Saturday but still there if I move the wrong way.

He also recommended I stay away from doing squats or deadlifts for a week, but encouraged that I do isolation exercises for my lower back, leg presses, and other lifting that doesn't involve the spine (all upper body stuff) in the meantime.

This is the third time I've had an injury in this general area in 5 months. The first time was due to poor form, the last two I'm fairly certain I was using good form but I still got injured. Why does this seem to be a weak area for me?

Why does this seem to be a weak area for me?
    There are lots of reasons, but the most serious of the reasons is because you are very weak.

Why does this seem to be a weak area for me?
    At 21 years and a 215 deadlift you must be early in the progression. I'm 56 and doing 250 tomorrow for my 18th lifting session. My wife is a chiropractor and has said that my lower back has never been better based on the improvement to muscle structure after only 17 lifting sessions. I have to assume my experience is typical, so my recommendation is to keep focus on form and steady progression and you will build a strong back. A strong back will keep all those parts in correct alignment which will make your chiropractor happy. Well happy but not as enriched, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    At 21 years and a 215 deadlift you must be early in the progression. I'm 56 and doing 250 tomorrow for my 18th lifting session. My wife is a chiropractor and has said that my lower back has never been better based on the improvement to muscle structure after only 17 lifting sessions. I have to assume my experience is typical, so my recommendation is to keep focus on form and steady progression and you will build a strong back. A strong back will keep all those parts in correct alignment which will make your chiropractor happy. Well happy but not as enriched, hahaha.
    Yeah, I only started at the beginning on September deadlifting 115 pounds, and I've had a few setbacks where I had to deload, once for tweaking my back during squatting, one very busy academic period where I went for 2 weeks without hitting the gym, and now again with this latest injury. I probably went too hard too soon getting back into the gym yesterday (only deloaded 15 pounds) popped my back in the same spot on my last rep of deadlifts. So I'm going to go a little slower as I recover this time.

Well, I knew that at least, which is why I picked up Starting Strength

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    In my little experience, back tweaks are usually associated with insufficient recovery. Clearly, this is more of a problem for an old fart like me than it probably is for a spring chicken like you.
    Anyhow, my tweaks are usually resolved within a period that ranges from two/three days to a couple of weeks.
    Keep moving, keep training doing what you can, re-hab the injury (for me, long sets of very light squats always seem to help), try using a tennis ball or a foam roller to release some tension.
    Good luck,

IPB
    This is GOLD. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12