starting strength gym

Thread: To deload or not

Default To deload or not

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Morning all, first time posting from the UK!

I’m on my second time running LP. First time I did not do the program, was too focused on fat loss and hit a ceiling. This time around I’m fully focused on my strength and have been eating 3000 cals on a 40/35/25 carb, protein, fat split and I’d been doing great. Just for info I am 6,1 weighing around 230 lbs.

My question is at the beginning of this week I moved house. I knew I was going to miss my regular Tuesday workout so scanned the forum and advice was go for the weights you were going for on your next session. Well today I went for my 110kg squat and had my first fail on the 4th rep, and had to put it down. I took 5kg off and got 5 on my next set but then the next set got 3 and then missed again. I’m assuming this has come from poor recovery and lifting heavy boxes and furniture for 3 days and not eating or sleeping properly (mattress on the floor until new bed arrives). So on my next session on Saturday, do I go for 110kg squat again now I’ve got my calories and carbs back up or do I need to work back up to it over a few sessions?

Thanks for your help

You missed on one workout after moving furniture?

Ignore it. Stay at the same weights. Rest adequately and eat right before next session, and don't worry about it unless it becomes a pattern.

Missing on one workout is just having a bad day - nothing to worry about.

-->Adam

Hi Adam, I think there may have been a psychological aspect to it as well if I'm honest. I made an assumption that I wouldn't recover and would miss and my brain missed the lift rather than my muscles. I already feel better after getting back up to 3000 calories so I'll shoot for 110kg again on Saturday.

Thanks for the advice.

-Dave

Adam was exactly right. I almost always prescribe a repeat of the missed workout when a trainee I am coaching fails at a lift. Recovery is stressed after the missed session. This is different when someone has been riding shotgun on the struggle bus for a few workouts in a row and you can see the linear progression exit ramp coming up fast. In these cases, I adjust volume while maintaining absolute load until we have to exit LP.