starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg Length Discrepancy

Default Leg Length Discrepancy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Pretty sure I have one. Right erector and adductor significantly stronger than left, hip shift to left side in squat, left leg wants collapse in the more I squat, hip pain, back pain, mobility issues.

Read the article, seems like getting this figured out is important.

For those that know about this is there a certain medical practitioner that has the best likelihood of correctly diagnosing and measuring this?

Family doctor basically thought I was insane, chiro I went to was clueless, and ortho practice I called had no idea what I was talking about.

Circling back around to this...

If you want this done you have to basically demand it from an orthopedist. They do a 3 min CT scan called a "scout" which cost me just over $100. The radiologist had the images read that afternoon. I was told it is not a very common scan so only certain places do it.

For those curious no I don't have an LLD but to my amateur eyes my pelvis looks twisted and my spine looks very mildly scoliotic. Pelvis looks way more jacked up than spine but I was lying down so maybe that changes things.

Going to schedule another appt with ortho.

Oh yeah, the ortho PA that I finally got to get the CT scheduled was also a complete moron. Called me after they got the results and told me to put 1mm shim in my left shoe lol. My confidence in the medical community, never very high, has been completely shattered by this experience. I'm either gonna have a bitch of a time finding a competent medical professional or I'm gonna have to figure this one out myself.

Where do you live?

Kansas City

Sounds like you need to come to a seminar.

Here is a simple method to estimate a leg length discrepancy....
    Stand on one foot against a wall and mark your height. Switch feet, making sure to keep everything else as stable as possible, mark your height. If the two marks do not line up you probably have a lld.
    Now sit in a chair but with only your butt on the chair, ie, don't let your hamstrings touch the chair. Keep your ankles and knees together. Now look at your knees. If one of your knees is higher than the other, the discrepancy is in your lower leg. If one of your knees sticks out away from you farther than the other, the discrepancy is in your thigh. Measure the difference and compare to the difference in your height measurements. Adjust as necessary with shim, staggered stance, etc.
    I had left hip and back pain when squatting. Used this method to determine I had a 4-5mm femur discrepancy. Started using a shim and staggered stance and problem disappeared.
    The only definitive way to know the exact discrepancy is radiographically, but this method seems to give enough information to make a practical difference.
    I have also used this method to measure several people and the results have matched the generally accepted rate of 70%.
    Hope this helps.

I have a similar problem, though it's not very extreme. A shim in the shoe helped quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sounds like you need to come to a seminar.
    Been to a live coach and done SSOC so I gotta ask, how will this help me?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskalator View Post
    Been to a live coach and done SSOC so I gotta ask, how will this help me?
    This is good to know; what did you coach(es) tell you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast