starting strength gym

Thread: How big of weight jumps after first 10 days of Starr Protocol for the squat?

Default How big of weight jumps after first 10 days of Starr Protocol for the squat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am rehabbing an abductor injury suffered by squatting using the Starr Protocol. I squatted every day for 10 days. I started at 65 lbs for 3 sets of 25 and on the tenth day I am at sets of 100, 105, and 110 lbs for 25 reps. From the forums, I am told that I should lower the sets to 15, 10, and 5 reps and that I should be squatting more than what injured me in about 2 weeks. I got injured by 335 for 3 sets of 5. How big should the weight jumps be? I own The Strongest Shall Survive and I can't find more specific information.

Thanks for your time,

Jim Morrison

This is a very subjective question. You need to let pain be your guide. Next WO do 115, 125, 135 for as many reps as you can tolerate. If you can make all 25, great. If you stop at 135x22, great. I believe my last time using Starr method I was hitting 225x15 and so on.

Is the reason for decreasing reps in sets strictly pain or the increased weight?

Increased weight.

How long did your recovery take after the initial ten days?

I went back and checked my log. Entry #694, pg 70, I think, is where it starts. Looks like initial attempt was 6/2, didn’t really get back to working weights until late August. I had pretty severe bruising from the tear, and something bothering me in my lower abdomen as well, so I kind of babied it.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8shutr View Post
    This is a very subjective question. You need to let pain be your guide. Next WO do 115, 125, 135 for as many reps as you can tolerate. If you can make all 25, great. If you stop at 135x22, great. I believe my last time using Starr method I was hitting 225x15 and so on.
    Woa.. as a novice who's current squat is only at 200x5, the idea of squatting 225x15 as injury rehab is just mind blow. I really want to get my damn squat to 315 yesterday. (and 405 tomorrow)

starting strength coach development program
    Well...way back when I had to walk uphill to school in the snow both ways....

My initial log entry on this site was 12/12, and according to my intro, I started about 3 months prior to that. So call it 9/12 to current, that’s what, like 6yrs 4 months of progress. Being old sucks, but if I had started this stuff when I was younger I doubt I would persevere the way I have now that there are the “slovenly years” to compare it to. This stuff works. And if you stick with it, it will benefit you greatly in the end.