starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back pain after training

Default Back pain after training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    42 years, 180cm, 112 kg (around 5'11'' on 247)

Training since the end of may, started with Stronglift 5x5, kept done some heavy deloads in the process due to lack of sleep, I was working two jobs and without sleep I couldn't handle the stress. In all that period I've had better and worse days, but never had any major pain. Around November, after researching Starting Strength I was getting of the opinion on changing my program, so I've quit my second job and changed the program, started SS and decided to pull all the stops and go with the flow as now I had the required sleep.

26/11/2018
    45 kg squat, 27.5 kg press, 50 kg deadlift, 32.5 kg bench

Last sets (7/1 deadlift, 9/1 power clean)
    102.5 kg squat, 45 kg press, 115 kg deadlift, 52.5 kg bench, 22.5 kg power clean

Squatting heavy is good, however, since deadlifting over 100 I've started having some back pain, lumbar region on my left side, is accentuated if I step on my left leg, when getting undressed is not an issue to get to my right leg up to get shoes and socks, but I must sit down to get to the left, if I try to get my left leg up and bend a bit without sitting it's agony.

Since deadlifting over 100 I've had a bit of a twinge, nothing major, but was there, more for 112.5, after 115 I was in agony. Mind me, in all cases I workout, go to bed, sleep it off and get up in the morning mostly fine, now for example I've got no pain, if anything I only feel a bit of a pull in the area, but that could be caused as well by posture problems I'm trying to fix, being a 9 to 5 office workers does all kind of bad things to you...

Now, it would appear that I am definitely sensible to deadlifts, in all fairness is the one lift I don't like and it's possible I am not doing it right, I've put all kind of effort in the other lifts, especially in squats and presses which are the ones I enjoy the most, slap 100 kg on my back and squatting is fun, deadlifting is... well, a huge pain in my lower back.

I don't think I've done anything major, as I say, I get up in the morning mostly recovered, but the fact that I go home hurting doesn't feel right. I will take a video the next time I train deadlifts to check my form, in the while, would it be sensible to deload a bit to a level where it doesn't hurt as much? if it's hurting I'm inclined to believe I'm not doing something right and to keep pushing doesn't feel sensible, but again, I'm confused because then I get up in the morning and I'm fine.

Post exercise traumatic disorder?

PS. sorry for the lenghty thread, I thought it I'd throw in anything that could be relevant.

Do you have a recent DL video?

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    Do you have a recent DL video?
    This is the most recent, I haven't attached it originally as when I checked the video suggestions it appeared I've committed some video sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    This is the most recent, I haven't attached it originally as when I checked the video suggestions it appeared I've committed some video sins.

damn, wrong code, this should work.

Looks like the bar starts way too forward. Start with the bar over midfoot.

Andy Baker's video is relevant

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    Looks like the bar starts way too forward. Start with the bar over midfoot.

Andy Baker's video is relevant
    Define "starts way too forward", it starts next to my shin and the bar path looks pretty vertical to me.

For the first rep, sure. Look at the bar position in the first rep compared to the subsequent reps.

Look at the two small plates on the floor to your right. Look how they line up with the green plates on the right side of the barbell your'e lifting as a reference.

See it now?

Im not a coach but form looks basically ok to me. Nothing that would cause pain anyway.

I’d probably do what I could without it hurting and try to go up from there. Maybe try high rep low weights and slowly increase the weights.

After 6 years I still get some aches and pains. One cue that helps me is to think of lifting the bar 99% of the weight before you lift it off of the ground. Lift is with your back firm, shoulders up and chest up. It feels like ones shoulders are as stiff as ones back.

For better advice get some face to face time with a certified SS coach. At least get some online coaching from a SS coach.

starting strength coach development program
    There appears to be some space between the bar and your shins/thighs on the way up. Bar should stay in contact the whole way up. Drag it up your shins and thighs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast