I have had one forever. I have used it a lot. It even felt food on my lower back, when my lower back would be sore from deadlift poorly.

But today.. today i discovered what the foam roller is actually for. And wow, it was eye opening.

I am doing the Novice LP for about a month now, and am a genetic weakling. I am up to 225x5x3, and today i successfully hit all the reps at that weight, however, for the first time in the LP, i kind of struggled with the reps, and i don't have a belt yet, and it cause my back, (mid back mostly) to round ever so slightly. I didn't get "injured" or have pain, but those muscles in my mid back erectors seized up intensely. The hole rest of the workout they were so sore and stiff, and if i bent in a slightly odd direction it would feel like they were pulled or something... just totally cramped up.. i imagine they were tied in little knots. This has happened before when i deadlifted rounded.

Anyway, i was able to complete the rest of my workout and didn't have any "pain", per se, but a lot of stiffness and discomfort.. and a little pain in lower left back, but whatever it was mild.

And then at the end i rolled out on the foam.. slowly, and it was just... wow.. i just never imagined it would be so incredible, so intense, like a half pain half ecstacy orgasm of achievement. And it felt better, like, immediately! Wow!!!

i never really got why it was a big deal, i always just did it because i felt like i should. But now i truly know the meaning of the foam roller.