starting strength gym

Thread: Rotator cuff tendonitis

Question Rotator cuff tendonitis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys,

So, my OHPs (and to some extend, squats, because it turns out that I do use my arms to get back up, which is not cool) have been hindered by an injury sustained after some drunken bouts of arm wrestling. It's bad enough to the point where I can't lift anymore because the pain is so great due to physical stress.

I went to see the doc today, and he said he doesn't think it's anything major, probably just inflammation (rotator cuff tendonitis), that should go away on its own. X-ray and manual movement tests couldn't find anything. I should try lifting slowly again after two weeks. He said to come back for MRI if pain doesn't go away after a month. He also recommend physical therapy, but I say eff that.

Has anyone else experienced this? What is your advice?

Thanks,
    The Black Dachshund

I think tendonitis is a catchall explanation for unexplainable pain. I'd advise you to look for trigger points in your rotator cuff muscles at the very least, but not rule out other locations in the shoulder, upper back, etc.

"an injury sustained after some drunken bouts of arm wrestling"

Thanks for the chuckle. There are worse ways to get injured, at least you will always have the memories of those insane nights.
    When you are my age you look back at those moments and smile.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    "an injury sustained after some drunken bouts of arm wrestling"

Thanks for the chuckle. There are worse ways to get injured, at least you will always have the memories of those insane nights.
    When you are my age you look back at those moments and smile.
    Find a weight you can do even if it's a plastic broom handle. Add stress when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
    I think tendonitis is a catchall explanation for unexplainable pain. I'd advise you to look for trigger points in your rotator cuff muscles at the very least, but not rule out other locations in the shoulder, upper back, etc.
    Flip "tendonitis" and "trigger points."