starting strength gym

Thread: Is this a distal bicep tear?

Unhappy Is this a distal bicep tear?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had shoulder surgery on the other arm, and didn't lift nothing at all for a year, I lost 18lbs of bw and a lot of strenght. And about 4 weeks ago I came back to lifting, and was doing dumbell curls, felt a pop, instant soreness, went home and notice a bruise on the biceps: https://i.imgur.com/j24AsvC.png

The muscle is still very weak, I can do ring pull ups pain free but if I do any set of curls it feels like I did 10 sets without rest.

Something that I noticed now is that the outside portion of the biceps went up or ''died'': https://i.imgur.com/mRQtza3.jpg

I'm not sure if it is a tear of the distal biceps tendon, brachialis or the bicep muscle. I live in Brazil and I don't have insurance anymore, went to the doctor, X-Ray didn't appear nothing, and the MRI is schedule to July, unfortunately.

Does anyone here had partial distal bicep tear? had this kind of abnormality of the outside portion of the biceps?

Sorry if I missed something, I'm not sure if my english is good.

What does it look like compared to the other side?? I had a complete rupture of mine about 8 months ago and it's pretty obvious. There will be a gap of several inches just above your elbow where your bicep used to be. It doesn't look that way to me from your picture, but I'm not a doc. You don't need an MRI to diagnose a ruptured tendon if you can get in front of a decent orthopedic doctor. If possible, I would not advise waiting 6 months for the surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    What does it look like compared to the other side?? I had a complete rupture of mine about 8 months ago and it's pretty obvious. There will be a gap of several inches just above your elbow where your bicep used to be. It doesn't look that way to me from your picture, but I'm not a doc. You don't need an MRI to diagnose a ruptured tendon if you can get in front of a decent orthopedic doctor. If possible, I would not advise waiting 6 months for the surgery.
    Hi Andy,
    the other side it's normal, there is no outside gap on there. The doctor did the hook test but this only apply to a full tear, in my case it's probably partial.
    About the surgery, this would take a year+ to do, the queue is long.
    You had the surgery?

Bizeps has 2 distal tendons. The main tendon and the lacertus fibrosus. If the latter is intact your bizeps will not retract much. But if you flex your biceps and try to "hook your tendon with your finger you will feel the difference to the healthy sidr