starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Great intensity day after stomach virus...HOW????

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stepic View Post
    Enlighten me on both matters, please.
    How much and how often do people using RPE change their work set weights:
    RPE is the “Option but not the obligation” to move your planned set. It’s a common refrain around here that RPE is mostly just a proxy for percentage based training. Mostly people are hitting their planned sets, noting if it was different than expected and going on with their life. You aren’t going to find a lot of people doing a 5*5 with 5 different weights on each set trying to chase the perfect number for the day.

Why do I do it? Let me know if this is to vague for you Ivan:
    My amazon order history tells me I bought SSBBT and PPST second editions 8/3/2008. I’ve been to a seminar and paid for 1:1 coaching from 3 different SSCs, I’ve watched all the videos, read all the articles and followed the forum closely. This is to say, I’m bought in.
    I’ve run the SSLP 8 times in 10 years (only counting attempts of at least 2 months). That’s really doing it as written, food, sleep, weight increases, technique being checked by people who know. I’m 50lbs heavier, I’m stronger and I know much more than when I started but why 8 times? Throw out a few for dumb reasons: trying crossfit, getting back into running to impress a girl, quitting the gym for temporary financial reasons, and I’m left with 5 times I quit. I took a long look at my training logs last year and figured out my personality wasn’t meshing with a program that chased rep maxes. I’m on an RPE program right now because it’s kept me in the gym with 2 missed workouts in the last 12 months. That’s more than I can say for anything I’ve ever tried before. But I’m not hurt, I’m not burnt out, and even though I purposely gave up on chasing new maxes, I’m getting stronger anyway.
    Texas Method or SSOC programming might be able to get me stronger in principle, but I know from experience that I’m much stronger staying in the gym than doing “the only right way to program” and quitting again. Feel free to blame this all on me. After all, Rip knows that his program works for everyone who tries it so it must be the athlete’s fault when it fails. I’m: lazy, weak, looking for the easy way out, and a dumb millennial who is distracted by shiny new complicated things. You’ll not catch me telling someone how to be a champion powerlifter (I’ll let the actual coaches with champion lifters have that fight), but I strongly feel that for someone just looking to get strong, sometimes it’s ok to do a set “@8” and not obsess over what that means. I know it’s better for me in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    I'm not going to say that Rip and Andy meant to recommend RPE but were to stubborn too say it outright. But it is clear that they are recommending the value of regulating intensity and avoiding failure. This recommendation doesn't jive with your idea that doping intensity on your work sets occasionally will result in backwards progress.
    That's charitable of you. What is meant by "doping intensity on your work sets"?

I took a long look at my training logs last year and figured out my personality wasn’t meshing with a program that chased rep maxes. I’m on an RPE program right now because it’s kept me in the gym with 2 missed workouts in the last 12 months.
    Finally. Most honest statement about this I've seen. Carry on, free country, you're an adult, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's charitable of you. What is meant by "doping intensity on your work sets"?
    "dropping" my apologies

Finally. Most honest statement about this I've seen. Carry on, free country, you're an adult, etc.
    *Tips hat* Still recommend your books to anyone who asks.

How much and how often do people using RPE change their work set weights:
    RPE is the “Option but not the obligation” to move your planned set. It’s a common refrain around here that RPE is mostly just a proxy for percentage based training. Mostly people are hitting their planned sets, noting if it was different than expected and going on with their life. You aren’t going to find a lot of people doing a 5*5 with 5 different weights on each set trying to chase the perfect number for the day.
    Sounds like you're using RPE descriptively. Most other people use @6 and @7 sets or 1@8 to "gauge" performance for the day and drop weight whenever RPE "creeps up".

My amazon order history tells me I bought SSBBT and PPST second editions 8/3/2008. I’ve been to a seminar and paid for 1:1 coaching from 3 different SSCs, I’ve watched all the videos, read all the articles and followed the forum closely. This is to say, I’m bought in.
    I’ve run the SSLP 8 times in 10 years (only counting attempts of at least 2 months). That’s really doing it as written, food, sleep, weight increases, technique being checked by people who know. I’m 50lbs heavier, I’m stronger and I know much more than when I started but why 8 times? Throw out a few for dumb reasons: trying crossfit, getting back into running to impress a girl, quitting the gym for temporary financial reasons, and I’m left with 5 times I quit. I took a long look at my training logs last year and figured out my personality wasn’t meshing with a program that chased rep maxes. I’m on an RPE program right now because it’s kept me in the gym with 2 missed workouts in the last 12 months. That’s more than I can say for anything I’ve ever tried before. But I’m not hurt, I’m not burnt out, and even though I purposely gave up on chasing new maxes, I’m getting stronger anyway.
    Texas Method or SSOC programming might be able to get me stronger in principle, but I know from experience that I’m much stronger staying in the gym than doing “the only right way to program” and quitting again. Feel free to blame this all on me. After all, Rip knows that his program works for everyone who tries it so it must be the athlete’s fault when it fails. I’m: lazy, weak, looking for the easy way out, and a dumb millennial who is distracted by shiny new complicated things. You’ll not catch me telling someone how to be a champion powerlifter (I’ll let the actual coaches with champion lifters have that fight), but I strongly feel that for someone just looking to get strong, sometimes it’s ok to do a set “@8” and not obsess over what that means. I know it’s better for me in the long run.
    I'm glad RPE helped you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stepic View Post
    Sounds like you're using RPE descriptively. Most other people use @6 and @7 sets or 1@8 to "gauge" performance for the day and drop weight whenever RPE "creeps up".
    guesswhat?

sometimes, based on your RPE, you might increase weight ... higher than what was planned.

no one (here) ever talks about that.

"dropping" my apologies
    Dropping your apologies? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    guesswhat?

sometimes, based on your RPE, you might increase weight ... higher than what was planned.

no one (here) ever talks about that.
    So you just do whatever you feel like doing today. Fine with me. Adults, free country, etc.

So you just do whatever you feel like doing today. Fine with me. Adults, free country, etc.
    The operative word here 'feel'. Feelings aren't tools of cognition.

They are if you're doing RPE.

Logic: the art of non contradictory identification.
    RPE: The art of dismissing logic.

starting strength coach development program
    I’ve run the SSLP 8 times in 10 years (only counting attempts of at least 2 months). That’s really doing it as written, food, sleep, weight increases, technique being checked by people who know. I’m 50lbs heavier, I’m stronger and I know much more than when I started but why 8 times? Throw out a few for dumb reasons: trying crossfit, getting back into running to impress a girl, quitting the gym for temporary financial reasons, and I’m left with 5 times I quit. I took a long look at my training logs last year and figured out my personality wasn’t meshing with a program that chased rep maxes. I’m on an RPE program right now because it’s kept me in the gym with 2 missed workouts in the last 12 months. That’s more than I can say for anything I’ve ever tried before. But I’m not hurt, I’m not burnt out, and even though I purposely gave up on chasing new maxes, I’m getting stronger anyway. .
    This makes a lot more sense as to why someone would use an RPE program. I applaud your honesty. Out of curiosity how strong did you get in the past year? What were your lifts when you started?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567