starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Comeback from Parasitic Infection?

Default Training Comeback from Parasitic Infection?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone. It has been a LONG time since I've been on the forums...I was battling health issues that ultimately resulted in me losing 30 pounds over the course of 10 months. I ran Starting Strength and then 5/3/1 over the course of about a year. I got my beltless squat to 260 x 10 and my beltless deadlift to 300 x 9 @ 193. This was all done by March of 2018, before my 16th Birthday. Here comes April 12, 2018; and bam! Out of nowhere, I got horrible, 12/10 stomach cramping. I was hospitalized for the night. From there, I continued to suffer from stomachaches, GI issues, and the like.

From April 2018 until about a week ago, I bounced from doctor to doctor, trying to figure out what in the fuck was wrong with me. My life was put on hold entirely because I was too sick to go anywhere significantly far from a bathroom/enjoy myself because I was always in pain. I went gluten-free (and I still am, gluten and other grains made my existing problem worse) and severely restricted my diet (this helped to alleviate my symptoms a little, but life was still unbearable). I dropped down to 161 pounds at 5'9". My Squat (280 x 10 w/ Belt), Bench (155 x 8 - yes, I know), and Deadlift (305 x 11 w/ Belt) are all pretty weak right now, although I did continue training smart (5/3/1 helped me to keep my training realistic and in check).

But, there is some good news! I found out that I was infected with E. Histolytica (side note: the shady deli selling me bacon and eggs every day probably gave it to me), and I have been given a course of Antibiotics to treat the disease. They seem to be working (symptoms are getting better with time), and I have gained 5 pounds back in the last week (at 165 pounds now). I am currently eating 4500 calories per day of whole foods and am getting back into training hard once again.

My goal weight is 180 pounds. How fast would you guys say I could presumably add weight to my frame and hit a 500 Deadlift? I'm thinking I could get it before my 18th Birthday... I have a little less than a year and a half to do it. Any tips?

If I gather your training history correctly, you have not even pulled 405 lbs. I do not think you will pull 500 lbs in less than six months without having done that. Also, it will be made more difficult by your low body weight "goal."

I have not done any heavy deadlift singles in, quite literally, a year. I am fairly sure that 405 is there. Most of my work on 5/3/1 is done in the 75-80% range.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    If I gather your training history correctly, you have not even pulled 405 lbs. I do not think you will pull 500 lbs in less than six months without having done that. Also, it will be made more difficult by your low body weight "goal."
    Also, I mentioned achieving this goal in 15 months, rather than 6 (I know trying to hit 500 in 6 months is unrealistic. 450 might be there in a few months, but not 500).

Isn't this a question for Coach Wendler?

Quote Originally Posted by jfallon9 View Post
    Also, I mentioned achieving this goal in 15 months, rather than 6 (I know trying to hit 500 in 6 months is unrealistic. 450 might be there in a few months, but not 500).
    Yeah, I'm sorry; I mis-read your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Isn't this a question for Coach Wendler?
    Hey Mark. Honestly, not necessarily. I was wondering if I’d be better off running a standard LP again as opposed to continuing in my current direction with 5/3/1, because I am currently in a weakened state.

I was not absorbing many nutrients regardless of how much I ate because of the parasite, so I’m expecting my weight and, consequently, my numbers; to go up pretty significantly in a relatively short period of time. That is my reasoning for asking the aforementioned question.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Yeah, I'm sorry; I mis-read your post.
    That’s fine. What are your thoughts?

starting strength coach development program
    Does anyone have any tips for me? I am unsure as to whether or not I would be better off continuing in my current direction with 5/3/1 or by running a standard SSLP. With the amount of calories and protein that I am taking in per day (4500-5000 calories, 175-200 grams of protein), I believe that SS might have some much-needed growth in store for me. I am hoping to get a lot heavier. Currently at 165 pounds...much too skinny for my liking.

I've been spinning my wheels for about a year, but I haven't lost too much strength; although I did drop 30 pounds due to circumstances entirely out of my control. Whatever I ate (in the realm of 4000 calories per day) simply came out the other end in massive quantities. Looking forward to getting back on the boat (finally).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast