starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is golfers elbow, not golfers elbow ??

Default When is golfers elbow, not golfers elbow ??

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After finally figuring out how to low bar squat using the arms/hands as wedges I have developed a form of golfers elbow which is entirely different from that which plagued me prior to executing the squat properly.

This firm of GE is in the forearms in front of the inner elbow and, unlike traditional golfers elbow it doesn't really affect every day use of the joint. No issue with pull ups, cleaning teeth, or opening doors. I know it's from the new arm position in the squat because as I pull everything in tight I feel it as a dull ache. I'm not cranking elbows up, and it's there as soon as I settle into the position. I use the stretch technique during warmups to try and minimise the discomfort, but it never completely goes away. I find myself massaging the affected area during squats which gives some relief when it's particularly bad.

Is this something that will eventually go away ? Or something that's just part of training ? Or am I still doing something wrong despite my best efforts-which would be strange because the weight now feels great on my back and the arms aren't contributing much at all, literally just wedges which is where the pain begins.

I experienced the same thing. I’m pretty sure it’s just that your forearms need to get stronger in shear. It’s gone away for me.

I had some inflammation in my elbows from squatting not too long ago. I widened my grip, and that fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    I experienced the same thing. I’m pretty sure it’s just that your forearms need to get stronger in shear. It’s gone away for me.
    Did you do anything specific to strengthen them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Devyn Stewart View Post
    I had some inflammation in my elbows from squatting not too long ago. I widened my grip, and that fixed it.
    In a way that would probably work, but then it would not let me get my upper back tight enough to get a good shelf. It would mean going back to using the arms to take some of the weight and that's what gave me the proper form of golfers elbow which was pain behind the inner elbow joint-that was a serious problem, the current form not as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    In a way that would probably work, but then it would not let me get my upper back tight enough to get a good shelf. It would mean going back to using the arms to take some of the weight and that's what gave me the proper form of golfers elbow which was pain behind the inner elbow joint-that was a serious problem, the current form not as much.
    Just telling you my experience, man. I thought the same thing, but when I tried it, I didn't have a hard time keeping most of the weight in my back. YMMV

Chinup will fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Longnecker View Post
    Chinup will fix that.
    I'm doing chin ups once a week - so far 8 sets of 4

Quote Originally Posted by Devyn Stewart View Post
    Just telling you my experience, man. I thought the same thing, but when I tried it, I didn't have a hard time keeping most of the weight in my back. YMMV
    I can try a bit of experimentation with a wider grip.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I can try a bit of experimentation with a wider grip.
    I hope it works well for you, dude. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast