starting strength gym

Thread: Surgery to remove loose body from knee. Anyone gone through this before?

Default Surgery to remove loose body from knee. Anyone gone through this before?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

29 year old male here. Woke up to a locked knee. Went to the emergency room and had an X-ray taken and found this little fucker:

PHOTO-2019-02-10-12-59-56.jpg

After a week, this little fucker has since made his way into my knee joint and I cannot straighten my leg passed a certain point. Had an MRI which confirmed this - it's smack in the middle of my knee joint. Everything else is fine. The doctor described it as a 'true lock' because something was physically stopping my knee from straightening. I'm scheduled for surgery. Doc mentioned that if all he needs to do is take it out, then I should be on my feet in 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any experience with this? When can I go back to squatting?

If that's all he has to do, you will be on your feet that day. Take about 4 days off before you squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If that's all he has to do, you will be on your feet that day. Take about 4 days off before you squat.
    Thanks a lot, Rip.

My surgery is scheduled for Monday morning and I had a final consultation with the surgeon. He's now telling me that a full recovery could take up to 6 weeks. He said I could 'walk around' after 2 weeks and resume training after 6.

There's no fucking way I'm waiting that long, but I do want to be somewhat smart about it. Can someone recommend a protocol? Preferably Rip, but I'm terrified of him.

By the way, how did this happen? Was this a fragment of bone?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    By the way, how did this happen? Was this a fragment of bone?
    Football (soccer to you guys in the U.S.) injury from years ago. The impact had chipped some of the bone.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Stax View Post
    Football (soccer to you guys in the U.S.) injury from years ago. The impact had chipped some of the bone.
    Oof.