starting strength gym

Thread: Returning to lifting after 2 week layoff with flu ?

Default Returning to lifting after 2 week layoff with flu ?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Wondering where I should start from weight wise ?
    I was up to 95Kg 4x5 on squats. Feel really tired and weak, wondered if the first few sessions should be beginning at say 40Kg and then work back up as quickly as feels comfortable ? Not had any post sickness training experience and I don't want to overdo it too early.

Cutting the weight on the bar by more than half seems really excessive to me. But what is your age, lifting experience, etc? Personally and based on nothing scientific I'd warm up as usual and see how it felt with the goal of maybe taking 5-10 kgs off the bar at most. Or possibly try one set at 95kg just to see how it goes. If you only get a couple reps then back off the weight for the next sets. You have no mechanical injury that you're risking making worse here, even if you're feeling weak I'd be surprised if you couldn't at the very least grind out one rep at 95 kg to see how you're feeling. Also curious what program you're on if you're doing 4 sets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smale View Post
    Cutting the weight on the bar by more than half seems really excessive to me. But what is your age, lifting experience, etc? Personally and based on nothing scientific I'd warm up as usual and see how it felt with the goal of maybe taking 5-10 kgs off the bar at most. Or possibly try one set at 95kg just to see how it goes. If you only get a couple reps then back off the weight for the next sets. You have no mechanical injury that you're risking making worse here, even if you're feeling weak I'd be surprised if you couldn't at the very least grind out one rep at 95 kg to see how you're feeling. Also curious what program you're on if you're doing 4 sets here.
    58 years on the HLM BP program 4x5 on heavy day. Lifting for 18 months.

Im doing the same thing and I plan to start light and work back up over a couple weeks as I feel better, Im 66 and in no hurry

the flu really sucks

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    Im doing the same thing and I plan to start light and work back up over a couple weeks as I feel better, Im 66 and in no hurry

the flu really sucks
    I don't think most people think of the flu as being anything particularly nasty. I made the stupid mistake of not getting a shot last year as I've been flu free for well over a decade and boy has it kicked my ass. Taken almost a full two weeks just to get back feeling something like normal-yesterday I went for a gentle walk and by halfway I was wishing for a bus. Lost over 1/2 stone too.

I warmed up and did 3 heavy singles at 80Kg, then bench 70Kg for 3 singles followed by some pull-ups. Felt a bit shakey, but OK.

The flu is nothing to take lightly

27 years ago I had a horrible case over Christmas. I mean bedridden fever just knew I was going to die.

My in-laws insisted on visiting even though we told them not to because I was so sick.

My father in law caught it and was dead in a week. Sad but true story. He was a great guy.

I get the shot every year this is the first time in 20 years I’ve succumbed to it.

Not fun still feel weak.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    The flu is nothing to take lightly

27 years ago I had a horrible case over Christmas. I mean bedridden fever just knew I was going to die.

My in-laws insisted on visiting even though we told them not to because I was so sick.

My father in law caught it and was dead in a week. Sad but true story. He was a great guy.

I get the shot every year this is the first time in 20 years I’ve succumbed to it.

Not fun still feel weak.
    That's how it was for me. Proper fever and muscles spasms so bad I couldn't get out of bed. Drained today after yesterday's training session.