starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eating a lot of Oatmeal

Default eating a lot of Oatmeal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Robert, i really enjoy oatmeal, and i eat a lot of it. Its been great addition for recovery, Im eating about 3 cups a day. It is making me gassy as all hell. Will i get used to it, Or do I need to back off on the oatmeal? Im on the go a lot, and its really helped me meet my macros, which i struggle with, because of its convenience. Skim milk and some oats and raisins go a long way for me

Ah the joys of fiber. You may want to try it with FairLife milk and see if maybe the milk is causing the gas. The higher protein content may balance it out. How many raisins are you adding to it?

I have a good video I made on oatmeal. Check it out

YouTube

McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal will change your life.

I add a little less than a quarter of a cup of raisins. Tablespoon or so of cinnamon. I really enjoy it, but it catches up to me later in the day. I’d take Gas-Ex or something like that with it, but I don’t know how healthy it is to take that stuff daily. I’ll check the video out. Thanks for the link and reply.

Great video by the way, subscribed to your channel!

Every time I up fiber, gas happens, and it seems to be temporary until my body gets used to it. Not a medical or professional opinion, just me.

Also, gas from fiber smells a lot better than gas from protein. If you want to stink someone out, go for the fish and eggs.

If you aren't used to eating that much fiber, there will be a learning curve there. It passes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    If you aren't used to eating that much fiber, there will be a learning curve there. It passes though.
    Increasing fiber is like increasing strength. If you are getting gassy, it means your gut is simply not adapted. Your microbiota is weak, and you need to increase your dose of fiber gradually to allow time for your gut to adapt. Eventually even large amounts of fiber will no longer make you gassy.

I increased my fiber dramatically a couple years ago. I have a family history of heart disease, and my cholesterol was high despite a pretty decent diet. Rather than going on medication, as my doctor recommended, I just started eating more whole foods (beans, whole grains, veggies, etc.) and brought my cholesterol well under the recommended levels. It was rough at first with lots of gas pains and bloat, but that passed eventually. I never get gassy anymore. My morning deuces are pretty epic too.

That's typically how it goes. Where are your lipids now??

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    That's typically how it goes. Where are your lipids now??
    Total: 170
    Tryglicerides: 130
    HDL: 45
    Chol/HDL: 4
    LDL: 100
    VLDL: 25

So not optimal on all fronts, but these numbers are significantly better than what they were and have been stable for a few years. They were even better than this immediately after the dietary change, but the total and LDL went up slightly after I discovered barbells and gained some weight to get stronger (I’m not too worried about this). The only one that won’t improve is HDL, but my understanding is that HDL is largely genetic.

Anyway, I like lentils and barley and kale and all that hippy shit, and I still eat a steak when I want one, so this beats cholesterol medication for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast