starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squatting Arm Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalob View Post
    At the risk of a scolding - I would like to request some advice, and I have used the search function! My left arm has been killing me after doing squats. The pain starts in the muscle/ligament above my elbow (seems to be between the biceps and triceps and runs up my arm to the rear part of my shoulder and often progresses onto my shoulder blade. The pain continues intensely for ~2-3 hours post workout and has completely killed progress on my press and bench. The pain then completely goes away. It resurfaces sometimes when I sleep (which sucks because I can't sleep afterward) or during the next day if I lift something awkward - like a flailing 3 year old.

I am aware that my grip on the squat is off (my hands are intercepting some of the weight of the bar). I'm working to fix that but it is challenging because every squat session is a new PR on the program and I'm doing all I can just to complete my reps.

Should I 1) continue increasing weight, take advil and work on shoulder flexibility? 2)take some time off from squatting and just work on flexibility and strengthening assistance muscles in the rotater cuff? 3) deload and work on grip and shoulder flexibility at a lighter weight

2 and 3 would be a major disappointment since I've hit 280 and am excited about breaking 300. Sorry for the long-winded e-mail and as always, thank you for the advice.
    Hello buffalob,

Were you able to get rid of the pain? I am experiencing the exact same thing as you mentioned in the original post and I think its due to lack of shoulder flexibility. It would really help if you can share what you did.

Cheers!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by sinistersmile View Post
    Hello buffalob,

Were you able to get rid of the pain? I am experiencing the exact same thing as you mentioned in the original post and I think its due to lack of shoulder flexibility. It would really help if you can share what you did.

Cheers!
    Some bad news - I stopped lifting for about 2 months then started again. This time I focused on shoulder flexiblity and strengthening by rotator cuffs. I also substituted power cleans for barbell rows to strengthen my upper back and shoulders. I also made sure that bar position was correct and my arms were not carrying the weight. End result: I got back up to my PR of 280 in the squat but the pain has come back and it is excruciating. I have no idea how to fix this issue. Tomorrow I was planning on going for 285 but I have felt excruciating to dull pain on and off all day up and down my arm and also in the rotator cufff area. T'he only thing that I haven't tried is switching to high bar squat. But right now I'm in no mental state to go into the gym to screw around.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123