starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much time should a SS work out take

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahstafarian View Post
    It takes me 15-20 minutes just to do my squat warmups, followed by a 5 minute rest before work sets so I can gather myself and focus on the task at hand. Throw in 8-10 minutes between the heavy sets. Usually takes me an hour just for squats.

I don't know how you can squat in 35 minutes. Maybe I need to suck it up.
    You might be warming up too much, and I can almost guarantee you don't need 10 minute rests. I'd try cutting those in half. What do your war ups look like? Do you time your rests with a timer?

You may start warming up with an empty bar and keep on adding 20 kgs (total weight) till you reach your work set. No need to rest between warmup sets (you'll get some rest anyway while adding plates). I think in SS the max we can/should rest is 7 mins, if you need more rest maybe you need to eat more or do something else/go advance etc. I'm not an expert, wait for a coach to give inputs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahstafarian View Post
    It takes me 15-20 minutes just to do my squat warmups, followed by a 5 minute rest before work sets so I can gather myself and focus on the task at hand. Throw in 8-10 minutes between the heavy sets. Usually takes me an hour just for squats.

I don't know how you can squat in 35 minutes. Maybe I need to suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutNick View Post
    I track my workouts using my phone.
    There's been an invention recently, you may not have heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    You might be warming up too much, and I can almost guarantee you don't need 10 minute rests. I'd try cutting those in half. What do your war ups look like? Do you time your rests with a timer?
    Somedays are faster than others. There are times I need 5 sets with the bar to loosen my shoulders up. I don't feel like I'm warming up excessively.

Say I'm warming up to 315.

bar x 5 as many times as necessary
    135 x 5
    225x 3
    275 x 2
    305 x 1

And I most certainly needed 8+ minutes between sets while running SS once my work sets got over 330. I was really beat up at the end of LP.

I been resting by feel. Some times its almost right away that i add weight some times its 15 mins between a set. I spend the time differently. I'll sit down and drink a peri work out shake Watching tv, facebook or noting my workout. A youtube video or what ever. I'm never in a rush to get though the workout. I workout at home so i can go when i'm ready or wait longer. I do little choors between sets like rinse pollen off my car, take in a trash can.

21 sets a work out times 7 mins a set = 2.5 hours.

It shouldn't take very long at first. By the time you are ready for Advanced Novice it could take 2 hours easily. If it gets much over 2 hours you probably need to change programming.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
    I been resting by feel. Some times its almost right away that i add weight some times its 15 mins between a set. I spend the time differently. I'll sit down and drink a peri work out shake Watching tv, facebook or noting my workout. A youtube video or what ever. I'm never in a rush to get though the workout. I workout at home so i can go when i'm ready or wait longer. I do little choors between sets like rinse pollen off my car, take in a trash can.

Yeah I do the same (except for major things like washing my car between sets, that's crazy). At the beginning of my workout I usually watch TV, towards the end (3 sets left) I start the grill and throw my meat on, so it is done by the time I'm finished.

My wife and I complete our workouts in about two hours. I rest while she lifts and vice versa. As for rest, I don't really time it. I take it when I need it but try to remind myself that it's a workout - I'm supposed to feel it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarret Noll View Post
    but try to remind myself that it's a workout - I'm supposed to feel it.
    You're doing it wrong

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast