starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much time should a SS work out take

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    You're doing it wrong
    What I've been doing has been working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarret Noll View Post
    What I've been doing has been working for me.
    So far.

Honestly, if you are truncating your rest time so that you "feel it," then you are misunderstanding some of the basic principles here. I'm not trying to be a dick; I'm just telling you that it will come back to bite you eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    So far.

Honestly, if you are truncating your rest time so that you "feel it," then you are misunderstanding some of the basic principles here. I'm not trying to be a dick; I'm just telling you that it will come back to bite you eventually.
    You have read far too much into my brief comments. Im not going for a pump or anything like that. I just dont sit around all day getting cold before I get back under the bar. I never mentioned truncating my workouts so I can feel them. I never mentioned truncating anything and never mentioned causation. I simply said that it's a workout and as such my body isnt going to feel well-rested between sets. I also said that if I needed rest I took it without timing it, which implies I wait until I feel rested enough to get under the bar and do the movement with correct technique so that fatigue doesnt mess me up.
    Last edited by Jarret Noll; 05-23-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling

I sincerely don't know how anyone doing the SS Program can take 2-3+ hours on their workout.
    I'm truly baffled.

I'm 49 years old, my DL work set is 1x5 160kg (352.7lb) and Squat work set is 3x5 110kg (242.5lb). I spend an hour in my gym, sometimes a little more, which includes getting changed before and after my workout, and all warm ups. I program 1.5 hours total in my day for workouts, that includes walking to and from the gym (and stopping by the shop on the way back).

Warm up sets aren't supposed to tax you, they are just supposed to warm you up, so my rest between them is the time it takes to add the extra load to the bar to do the next warm up. As for work sets, there are only three of them so that requires only 2 rests. Once those are done I quickly get on with warming up for the next exercise because it uses a different muscle group so no rest is required.

The only people I see who take 2-3+ hours are those annoying people who sit around on the equipment watching the world go by and squeezing their biceps to see if they've got any bigger.

My workout felt good today. Less then 2 hours. I still do things on the rests. Today was 3 loads of laundry. Next work out i'll wash the pollen off my cars again and take out the trash. I dont watch the world go by, I do things. Water drinking, or some whey.

This. I think people rest too much between warmup sets. A GShock really comes in handy (stop watch, reverse timer etc) and mobiles can really take a lot of time if someone calls up with an agenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    I sincerely don't know how anyone doing the SS Program can take 2-3+ hours on their workout.
    I'm truly baffled.

I'm 49 years old, my DL work set is 1x5 160kg (352.7lb) and Squat work set is 3x5 110kg (242.5lb). I spend an hour in my gym, sometimes a little more, which includes getting changed before and after my workout, and all warm ups. I program 1.5 hours total in my day for workouts, that includes walking to and from the gym (and stopping by the shop on the way back).

Warm up sets aren't supposed to tax you, they are just supposed to warm you up, so my rest between them is the time it takes to add the extra load to the bar to do the next warm up. As for work sets, there are only three of them so that requires only 2 rests. Once those are done I quickly get on with warming up for the next exercise because it uses a different muscle group so no rest is required.

The only people I see who take 2-3+ hours are those annoying people who sit around on the equipment watching the world go by and squeezing their biceps to see if they've got any bigger.
    Last edited by Rockfella; 05-27-2013 at 05:32 AM.

3 hours is mental to do 7 or 9 sets lmao

at the most its 1 and half hours on workout b and rougly an hour on workout a

today went
    a:
    squat warm up 5-10 mins
    each set 1 min
    rest time 5 min
    = 26 mins

bench warm up 5 mins
    each set 1 min
    rest time 3 mins
    = 17 mins

Deadlift warm up 7 mins
    set 1 min
    8 mins

51 mins seems about right

How much time does it take you if you subtract the time spent watching tv or looking at facebook?

I'm a decrepit old lady and it only ever took me about an hour or hour and 10 minutes with 5 minute rests between work sets and having to do 5 sets of 3 for some work sets (rather than the usual 3 sets of 5).

Try reading the book where it says up to 10 to 15 minutes rest if necessary. Some people especially older ones have different recovery requirements go figure

starting strength coach development program
    The last month or some of my LP definitely took 2.5 - 3 hours on deadlift days. (below was my last workout on the lp -- they got longer over time)

Squats
    Set Safeties
    Police up plates
    Body weight squat stretch
    45 [5] - 2 min rest
    45 [5] - 2 min rest
    135 [5] - 2 min rest
    225 [3] - 2 min rest
    315 [2] - 5 min rest
    365 [1] - 8 min rest
    395 [5] - 10 min rest
    395 [5] - 10 min rest
    395 [5] - 5 min rest
    Clean up

Bench
    45 [10] - 2 min rest
    85 [5] - 2 min rest
    125 [3] - 2 min rest
    160 [2] - 5 min rest
    177.5 [5] - 8 min rest
    177.5 [5] - 8 min rest
    177.5 [5] - 3 min rest
    Clean up

Deadlift
    Pull out mat
    Police up plates
    135 [5] - 2 min
    225 [5] - 3 min
    315 [3] - 5 min
    365 [2] - 10 min
    405 [5] - 5 min
    Clean up

During that workout I totaled 101 minutes of timed rest.
    We can estimate 21 minutes of worksets (at 1 minute per set).
    Add in cleanup, gathering plates etc... its easy to get the time up there.

It takes as long as it takes during the LP is the best advice out there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast