starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining strength while maintaining weight?

Default Gaining strength while maintaining weight?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was wondering if Starting Strength was an appropriate protocol if I'm trying to maintain my weight while getting stronger. I box and want to stay in a specific weight class. The more I read around, the more it seems people don't believe in body recomposition. But if I ate better macros while eating the same calories, I don't understand how recomposition wouldn't happen?

I realize the upper limits of my strength will be much lower at a lower weight. Does this mean that I should use a different program geared more toward neural strength training?

You would still definitely want the book, because the proper form for the barbell movements should be learned by anybody serious about developing their strength. That comprises the bulk of SSBBT3. With your training history, current lifts, height, weight, goals, and current diet, you could definitely ask more specific questions about your programming and nutrition advice in the programming and nutrition forums. You're asking a vague and general question in a forum that probably won't get read by a lot of people.

EDIT: I see the thread was moved down here from the Rippetoe Q+A. What that means is the question has been asked to death before, so use the search function to search previous inquiries. Use google and type "search site:startingstrength.com <your search terms here>"
    Last edited by Squeakyguy; 06-19-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Well, guess I'll take advantage of this while I'm here...

I've never done barbell training until a month ago. Just started my lifts actually. I've been a pretty serious athlete for a long time and have done a good deal of calisthenic training, so I feel like I've been progressing fairly fast for maintaining 135 pounds.

Squat: 165 for 3x5
    Deadlift: 195 for 3x5
    Press: 105 for 3x5
    Benchpress: 130 for 3x5
    Powercleans: 105 for 3x5.

The weight class I'm aiming for is 132-138(and my height is 5"6), so theoretically I could gain three pounds. I'm just not sure if it's a smart idea to try and get stronger at this weight, or to try and bulk up and then cut down. But I'm just afraid of getting too big to be able to cut down. My numbers aren't exactly impressive, but I'm fairly sure this is the proper weight class for my height and don't think I could compete in higher classes too well.

I've never been too picky with my diet besides trying to meet a certain calorie count, but lately I've been trying to improve my macros by eating more meat/drinking protein shake. The kinds of carbs I'm eating are healthier since I've mostly cut out sugar and since I began living with my brother whose vegan girlfriend cooks for him.
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 06-19-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Buy a digital copy of the four hour body, it has a program made for no weight gain strength training. Get some help on nutrition after tracking a few days of your current eating habits with a tracking app

While your strength is going up, just keep doing the lifts, but it'll probably stall out sooner rather than later and then you can move to another program. Ultimately though you're constraining yourself at a pretty low muscle mass. Here's a point of comparison: your BMI (21.8) is the same as what my FFMI was at the end of my first run of SS (and my performance was average i'd say: i'm 6' and made it to 315lbs squats) So, scaled for height, my 0%bf weight (according to a DEXA scan i had anyway) was what your total weight is now. So that suggests that you could easily put on several more lbs of muscle on SS. Whether that's worth it to you in the ring... no idea.

(as a total aside, is boxing really "worth it" ? getting punched in the head all the time takes its toll from what i read even if you don't get knocked out. I mean if there's a shot at the Olympics or some big $$s then that's one thing, but otherwise ... IDK... i'd be afraid of the long term consequences. A bum knee you can live w/ or get replaced or whatever, but a bum head, not so much. At least not yet.)

One hundred and thirty five pounds is a fine number for your first weighted warmup on the squat. You will be much happier with many things in your life if you would allow yourself to put on some weight.

I've been using Starting Strength and an intermediate program like it (just resetting and ramping up to a new PR each month) for 2.5 years. I haven't gained more than a couple pounds at most but my deadlift has gone from about 135 to 350, my squat from about 135 to 285. I'm 6' 5" and 179 lbs. I think your best strategy is to stick with Starting Strength, the 3x5 style workouts of the major lifts, and keep getting stronger.

I never understand why boxers try to avoid going up the next weight class. If you have the weight, why not fight the heavier guys? Your strong muscles and lean body should prevail over their flabby, weak bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    I've been using Starting Strength and an intermediate program like it (just resetting and ramping up to a new PR each month) for 2.5 years. I haven't gained more than a couple pounds at most but my deadlift has gone from about 135 to 350, my squat from about 135 to 285. I'm 6' 5" and 179 lbs. I think your best strategy is to stick with Starting Strength, the 3x5 style workouts of the major lifts, and keep getting stronger.

I never understand why boxers try to avoid going up the next weight class. If you have the weight, why not fight the heavier guys? Your strong muscles and lean body should prevail over their flabby, weak bodies.
    These things may be related?

Body re-composition is not what SS is designed for. The best way to use SS for a weight class sport is to get as strong as you can, then lose weight to fall back into the lowest class you can comfortably reach.

The only people who can linearly progress while losing fat are gigantic piles of adipose tissue like me.

(Of course actually sticking to the program and my diet would help me with that.)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    These things may be related?
    Boxing and climbing are different. In boxing, people compete with others in their same weight class. In climbing there are no weight classes. Either you can climb a particular piece of rock or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast