starting strength gym

Thread: Organizing strength training and sports

Default Organizing strength training and sports

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi!

I'd like to do the Starting Strength program from September , because I still novice in barbell training and I want to get stronger, but I don't know how to organize my sports practice. I compete in full contact karate and I have 3-4 training sessions a week.(usually heavy bag training and sparring). Should I do the sports practice on off days or on the same day but several hours apart?

Off-season is not an option for me, because I don't really have one(it's about 1-2 months)

When do you train and when can you lift?

3 Days lifting and 4 days full contact Karate is a lot, and the two will most likely have a negative influence on each other. Basically you have to make the choice of which one you want to focus on. Do you want to lift to help you get stronger for karate? That's fine but I would say 2 lifting days per week will do. Run the basic SS workout, but only 2 days.

eg. Mon - Squat, Press, PC
    Fri- Squat, Bench, Deadlift

Because you're only training twice a week you could probably add some chins in there too. But you should be able to add weight to the bar for a long time lifting like this.
    Good luck.

I'm a student, so I have a pretty flexible schedule. I can train either in the morning or in the afternoon. I can also reduce the number of karate trainings or focus on technique training, if it is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by slam View Post
    I'm a student, so I have a pretty flexible schedule. I can train either in the morning or in the afternoon. I can also reduce the number of karate trainings or focus on technique training, if it is necessary.
    Like I said you need to decide what YOU want out of your training. If you want to get stronger, reduce the volume of karate and do the program as originally outlined. If you want to focus on karate, do a smaller workload. You could try lifting more days but as a novice you will get the best results using standard LP.

My 2 cents, lift 3 days a week, do karate twice a week. Do this until you finish LP, then you can do more karate but you will be strong.

starting strength coach development program
    write karate a few more times...so you do karate?