starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recomp first then do GOMAD

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Get started, and do the program the way it's written, without the GOMAD. Worry about jiujitsu later, since you haven't started it yet, or fit in one or two days later as you see fit, since you're young enough that recovery probably won't be your problem. Worry about your weight later. It was already mentioned above, but read this article.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    Get started, and do the program the way it's written, without the GOMAD. Worry about jiujitsu later, since you haven't started it yet, or fit in one or two days later as you see fit, since you're young enough that recovery probably won't be your problem. Worry about your weight later. It was already mentioned above, but read this article.
    I am paying 60 a month for it, so i don't just not wanna go bjj.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pears View Post
    I am paying 60 a month for it, so i don't just not wanna go bjj.
    Then do it. You're 21, it won't kill you and you'll recover. Just don't expect to be able to spend as much energy in the weight room, and thus have as much progress, as you would if you were just focused on lifting.

OK here is the plan

next two months: SS with fartlek(jog/sprint/jog/sprint) cardio the other day. 3000 calories a day at least. fuck trying to lose weight right now. Get good at doing shit, worry about being lean later.

3rd month: ss with jiujitsu/muay thai 4000kcal

after a year I will probably look at reducing the volume on lifting and look at more maximal effort type stuff.

Don't put a ceiling on yourself, Joe. Train hard and eat lots of food.

You like the martial arts and that's fine. Just recover the best you can and be smart about your programming in the weight room.

Hey guys, I have one last question about SS, I start on monday so I just want to cover all bases.

In these two months before I start BJJ. I am going to be doing 3 days SS, 3 days cardio and eating a fuck tonne of food.

I need to get conditioning in and I was thinking fartlek but now I am thinking any prolonged cardio might be too hard to recover from.

How would sprints be for conditioning, I can't see 5km runs doing my ss progresion much good.

I need to get conditioning in
    Do you? You should read this: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ning_is_a_sham

Reading the actual book wouldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    Do you? You should read this: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ning_is_a_sham

Reading the actual book wouldn't hurt either.
    Believe it or not I read the book.

I have the kindle edition.

It has fucking zero helpful info for people asking what I am asking.

Rip is very knowledgeable about lifting and his book reflects that. He however does not lay much advice out for people who are not primarily lifters.

He however does not lay much advice out for people who are not primarily lifters.
    Did you read the article I linked?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    Did you read the article I linked?

Yes I did and thanks for the reply, but I along with most of Tnation thought that article was extremely silly, when it was published and still do now. To act as though having a 500lb squat will help you fight a 5 minute round or will help you be more conditioned for your first amateur boxing bout is quite frankly silly.

All the best combat athletes weight train and lift but they all run long distances, hit sprints, run stairs etc. Infact as you see from the UFC, track and field and gymnastics seem to be the preferred s&c combination along with moderate weight olympic lifts.

And again I understand that the article was aimed at the bootcamp, military and police audience. But the idea that conditioning is a sham is like the white counterculture kids who bemoan mainstream rap and claim to like dead prez. Basically, ludicrous.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast