starting strength gym

Thread: Back injury

Default Back injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip,

I tweeked my back about 2 weeks ago. Nothing serious. There was slight pain when bending over with a straight back but it didn't hurt when I lowered myself with my arms (if that makes sense) so I thought it was either ligament or maybe muscle (I know it's unlikely). Anyway, I carried on as normal because it didn't hurt at all when squatting and reset my deadlift. Today, I got through all my squat sets without much pain, although everything felt very heavy. I started warming up on deadlifts and again everything felt very heavy but I just carried on because there wasn't much pain. I planned on doing 130kg for 10 (did 120 for 10 last week and it was very light and for reference I was up to 185kg for a pretty east set of 5) but about 6 inches up my shin I had a huge amount of pain in my lower back and had to let go of the bar. The pain is not radiating down my legs and it feels too low to be lumbar (I may be wrong and it's just low on the lumbar, which I find strange). I'm in quite a lot of pain even when laying down and it is agony to get up. Now my question is, I live in England so to get an X-Ray it could take up to something stupid like 5 months through my doctor, I may be able to speed this up a bit, but it will probably be healed by then if it's not too serious. So what should I do? Take some time off and then start very light on deadlift? Get a quick X-Ray through a&e? I'm a little lost.

Sorry for the long post and if there's not enough information here.
    Thank you.

anyone?

I think about 1/3 of the threads that end up in repetitive inquiries are about back tweaks. It's hard for us to tell what is wrong with your back from the description (and you can't expect more from a stranger on the internet). You can try to figure out what is wrong with your back exactly, or you can do what most of us do, which is wait a bit till it's not stabby and then start squatting and deadlifting with good form and weights you can handle.

There is a Starting Strength podcast that specifically discusses back pain; worth a listen.

Search function.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyArnold View Post
    Search function.
    To be fair, at this point, the search function probably turns up mostly posts by people in Repetitive Inquiries being told to use the search function.

starting strength coach development program
    Could it have been from too many dribbles, hops and dunks?